Topic

Bay Area Members: Hike to Mt. Diablo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area Members: Hike to Mt. Diablo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Warm-up for the up coming season!! May 16th all the Bay Area Hikers are invited to do 9.6 mile(one way) out and back to Mt. Diablo from my house. So lets just say a 20 mile day hike. I have done it 4 times and each time took about 4 hours to get to the top(with breaks).. After the hike I would like to have a BBQ at my house and RELAX!!!! Families and friends are welcome to come to my house afterwards. I have a very kid friendly backyard with a treehouse, zip-line and big hammock.
    Please let me know if you are interested so I can start planning accordingly!!!! Hope to see all the Bay Area Chapter Members on the May 16th…Thanks—- Hike should start no later then 8:00 AM

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jay,

Count me in for the hike and my wife and 6 yr old to join the BBQ.

What can we bring to the BBQ?

-Tony

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Geez, you guys have all the fun.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Sounds good….

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Sounds like fun, I'll get some beer into kegs before the BBQ.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Actually I cannot attend. I just remembered that I have a Thurs-Sat. Event that falls on that weekend down in Paso Robles with a tasting at Estancia and Wild Horse wineries. Have fun folks!!!!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Since we are a light weight backpacking group, does this mean we should bring our "fully" loaded packs with us on the hike?

Could be a training hike to get in condition for future trips? :)

-Tony

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Sounds fun. I'm in with family for the post party. I call first on the zip line.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Sure Tony! Hike your own Hike-as they say. I will be taking a day pack-Golite ION with a large Platy, snacks and GUs. The weather is really starting to heat up so dress accordingly- wide brims a must!

-Jay

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

but most likely I can't make it – I have to time a race Sunday (4:30 am alarm) & 20 miles is a bit over my limit

thanks for the idea, organization & invite – please have a beer for me :)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

We have 5 up for it so far–The more the better..Lets all get in shape for the up coming backpacking season!!! BBQ afterwards- Meet and Greet!

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

I have to look at my calender, but i think i can make it… never hiked mt. diablo, and im born and raised in the bay…

but jay, why not bring a full pack to "simulate" your hike? and of course to show off your gear ;)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

A 18 mile out and back day hike with a Pizza & Beer Bash afterwards at my house…The more the better-invite your out of shape friends too!!! PM for my address—Jay
    May 16th!!!!!!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Ps100132
    Mt.Diablo 3,849 ft

There is too much Snow in the Sierras–get in shape in the mean time!!!!!!!! Pm me –Jay

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Jay,

Count me in…again, can we bring something for the BBQ?

Also, is this going to be a dry trail?

As in we would need to carry all the water we would need for the whole day?

Want to carry accordingly.

-Tony

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Tony, Glad that you can make it. It will be a dry trail but there is a water fountain at a campsite about 3 miles from the top and there is water at the top of Mt. Diablo. It will be in the mid 80's on Saturday so if possible I would like to meet at 7:45 am at my house for a 8:00 departure. Because of the long day I will be to tired and lazy to BBQ so lets make it easy and have a Pizza Fest instead. Pizza and Beer on me boys and girls!!!!! Tony pm for my address….

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Jesse H!!! PM for my address

7:45am meet time at my house for a 8:00 departure!!!
    Please try to be on time….Thank You

Recommendations: Day Pack, Gaiters, Trekking Poles(For us old people) IPOD, Hat, Large Platypus, Hoagies & Snacks, GU's

Head count is now over Ten–the more the Better!!! Bring your out of shape friends too!!! Pizza and Beer at my house afterwards..

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hello Friends, Would any body mind if we step up the start time.. It is going to be 93 degrees on Saturday.. Can people meet at my house at 7:00 for a 7:15 departure… or 6:30?????

Let me know!!!! I know Carlos is coming from Watsonville
    Any Suggestions? Feedback?

-Jay

Linda Vassallo

@eastbayhiker

Locale: Eastbay

Hi Jay, I can start anytime. Earlier is good, to beat the heat. Will be there whichever time is set. Looking forward to it.
    LV

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Sure, if we want to meet at your place at 6:30 am, I can do that.

Painful as it might be for me. :)

If I see the sunrise, it probably means that I just never went to sleep.

Given the temps, I think it would be a good idea to meet as early as possible.

Bring extra water considering the heat and the exposed trail.

-Tony

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Jay,
    Living in Oregon the drive would be somewhat on the long side to attend. I would be happy to contribute to the after hike party as a gesture of support and friendship. I could send a contribution via paypal.

Thom

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Thom for the offer anyways!!! Enjoy your cooler weather for the day… We will have a beverage for ya…

-Jay

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

It's going to be a scorcher.

You can get water at the Castle Rock Recreation staging area (which is just 100 yards or so off the Briones-to-Diablo trail right when you cross out of Shell Ridge into Diablo Foothills). There is a hose there that I've used.

Also, the picnic areas and group camps off the Summit Trail have water spigots, and if you are adventurous and take Deer Park–>Mother's Trail–>Anne Kerley(sp?) on the way back there is a pond to retank at. Could be cows congregating around it though. Clearly the long stretch up Wall Road is the worst part water-wise, so I would definitely recommend hitting up the hose at Castle Rock.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Jay: I can start any time. Earlier is better. Please post the final time you decide on so I can make sure to be there, or I can meet you on the trail as in the past.

I think maybe 7 would be a good time to meet to give those that need to drive a ways at least some time to get there, but I don't mind earlier if others are up for it.

Also, please PM your address.

Looking forward to it.
    -Jeremy.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hello Friends— Do to warm weather lets meet at 7:00 for a 7:15 departure. I hope that is OK with everybody!!! Its going to be a Great Hike! Hydrate!!!!!

-Jay

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools