Topic

Guylinless Tarp ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Guylinless Tarp ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Who needs guy lines to set up a tarp?

I actually discovered this during a snow storm in west virginia where the stake of my guyline came out of the snow because I dident bother to dig down to the ground like I did with the other stakes luckily my trekking pole was at a slight angle and it stayed up even with a snow load of a foot or so and wind gusts of 40-50mph

You just have to angle the trekking pole slightly and adjust the stakes a little and you have a tarp that needs no guy lines and only 5 stakes

you can se it as a back up if your gulines snap or as a primary set up

today there was wind gusts of 40mph or so and this set up did not have any problems with the wind, I was very suprised that it harldly flapped at all, much better than some other set ups.

it takes a little practice to get a taught pitch but even in winds, I was able to set this tarp up in less than a minuet with 5 Ti stakes

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Whats that? No Guylines!

William Wright

@farstar

Interesting. Does it encroach significantly upon your useable space?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Not too bad, the trekking pole barely needs to be angled to set it up.

I have a Golite poncho tarp.

the dimensions of your tarp will really decide how much space you have

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools