Topic

Most calorically dense food with no dry heaving

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Most calorically dense food with no dry heaving

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Keller
    Spectator

@gregkeller

If i remember correctly a "brick" of ramen is actually two servings, so it's the 188 calories x 2 or 376 calories.

So a full brick of ramen is 3 ounces and 376 calories, so 125 cal/oz

Timothy Sexton

@tijos1

My favorite backpacking meal is home-made banana chips with Hershey’s milk chocolate and peanut butter. Yum. The bananas are essential for potassium, and who can resist chocolate and peanut better.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Snickers, oh Snickers wherefore art thou, Snickers.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Snickers, oh Snickers wherefore art thou, Snickers.

Somewhere behind the chocolate-coated scorched almonds…

Cheers

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Spam is easily dehydrated and easily rehydrated…and weighs almost nothing when fully dried. It also keeps a loooong time when dry. Add it to your ramen and you have yourself a high calorie/high fat/high salt meal that's not too hard to get down.

I prefer my Spam with instant mashed spuds, with lots of milk powder and butter in the spuds. Mmmm, add some gravy if you need even more salt!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Lynn,

You're my kind of "trail eater". I love Spam. I once had a Spam Tee Shirt. It showed an enlarged picture of a juicy Spamberger. It got me into a lot of interesting "pro-and-con" discussions.

I never thought of the dehydrating thing. I wonder if I can get some dried before I leave for the Lost Coast next Sunday.

Yum. I'll never have to carry the can again.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Denis, I find Spam dries pretty quickly in a dehydrator. If you don't have one of these, I'm sure your oven set on low would work just fine. Cut it inot small pieces first.

I confess to being a bit of a Spam rebel…I only eat the (low fat) turkey Spam. But it's still full of salt!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The name of this thread is most calorically dense food with NO DRY HEAVING. I was raised on spam, baked in an oven on a fancy platter with, so help me, brown sugar and mustard spread on it. Mom would slice it for dinner, and the leftover slices were fried for spam sandwiches the next day. I shudder when I think of it. Oh, the dry heaving is starting. That stick of butter rolled in brown sugar is sounding pretty good.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"I was raised on spam,"

That is so sad…Spam should be saved as a special treat ;)

I was raised on Underwood Devilled Ham !!!!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Hah! If I remember right (and I've spent decades trying to forget), they smell about the same.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"they smell about the same"

Cat food. Only the texture has been changed to protect the innocent. BTW my cats would do just about anything for turkey Spam…

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

on fresh, crispy saltine crackers. Maybe with a very thin slice of Swiss cheese.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…you all just have to find the Spreadable Spam that comes in tiny cans (with pull tops).

I can eat Spam, but it has to be cut small and cooked till crispy. In fried rice it is totally divine.

Cooked as a ham with glaze…that brings back scary nightmares of my youth and the Better Homes and Gardens plaid cookbook from the '50's that belonged to my mom! ;-)

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

…and the vikings sing "spam,spam,spam,spam lovely spam, glorious spam!"

Peter Burke

@fishmonger

Locale: Midwest

hmmmm – eat it with a spork right out of the lightweight plastic

NUTELLA

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I like it with Peanut Butter and Banana chips.

Gregg Carsen

@chopper

Would maybe smoked salmon that was then dried slightly to lighten the exess water out be a good source of fat and protein? I know the drying part might be tricky. I guess salmon jerky would be the same. Just wouldn't want to take any in bear country!!
    The foil packets of salmon are great but i know they arn't lightweight. But they are nice for the first night out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Great for POCs and heavy metals.

Cheers

Dylan Skola
    BPL Member

@phageghost

Locale: Southern California

>>Great for POCs and heavy metals.

>>Cheers

I know, right? Sad. But I eat it anyway. In moderation.

Back to the poster who brought up (real) pemmican, it may or may not pass the dry-heaving test, but I've been on a pemmican kick lately, thinking it would be perfect for backpacking.

I'm going to be making some as an experiment to bring along on some trips this summer. Should be around 182 calories / oz, and if you do it right with good grass-fed beef (or bison), full of Omega-3's, CLA, and vitamins (including Vitamin C if the meat isn't dried at too high a temp = no scurvy, unlike the white man's rations of the time). Essentially a complete food, and easy to digest. Inuit, plains Indians, trappers and explorers lived on it for months with excellent results, and if properly stored it lasts indefinitely without refrigeration.

U.S. Wellness Meats makes some but supposedly it's not very good. Better (and simple) to make your own.

I like the idea of it for all those reasons, as well as the traditional aspect. The taste will determine if all those things are worth it . . . I've heard it's not bad, once you get used to it.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

"trappers and explorers lived on it for months with excellent results"

Hmmmm.

trapper"

Bob dylan

@ineedenergy

What is pemmican?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

In moderation fish is fine for eating. I enjoy smoked salmon maybe once a month – and enjoy every tasty bit. I only eat wild Salmon though – caught in Alaska or on the runs here in Washington (I used to know a lot of retired fishermen when I lived on an island who would bring me whole fish as tips in the coffehouse!)

Fish has a lot to offer health wise in moderation.

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

Wild salmon is one the best fish to eat when you are concerned about mercury. I am not sure what other heavy metals the above poster is so concerned about to 'disqualify' it

Just make sure you eat wild salmon… friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon.

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

I tried durian last week in Jakarta and decided that I am too old to 'get used' to food, no matter how healthy, nutritious, leightweight or beneficial to my sexlife it is.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

I think salmon is actually categorized as a "medium" risk for mercury – it's a fairly high food chain feeder (bad), but lives pretty cold water (good – less heavy metal saturation)

Most of the "low" risk for mercury fish are little fish, preferably little fish from cold waters, that feed lower in the chain – herring, sardines & the like

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools