Topic

Torso-sized Air-mattress proposal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Torso-sized Air-mattress proposal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    . .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I have a proposal/challenge:

Who: Anyone who thinks they have the ability and may be interested in a plush, torso-sized (~35") air-mattress.

Why: Because no one makes one that I am aware of and it has the potential of being around 5 oz. to 7 oz. in weight, depending on the pad used.

How: By cutting a Big Agnes Clearview Pad in half and seam welding each of the two halves "open ends" back together with the appropriate chemical bonding agent. The side that lacks a valve will either need to have one attached using a replacement valve kit, or we could try leaving a small hole in a corner, then using a lightweight roll & clamp closure mechanism (to be sourced).

Where: I am willing to purchase a new donor pad and have it shipped to your place so that you can "perform the operation." In exchange, you get to keep one of the pads and we both get to beta test.

When: Whenever we have some time, eh? Actually, the main reason for this post is that I am building a house right now and don't have the time to spare to tinker, so I'm hoping someone else might be interested in undertaking this project.

If anyone has tried something similar and would care to comment, that would be excellent. I am not certain of the feasibility to effort ratio of this and would appreciate any input.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I don't want to sound rude, but I think it's time for you to step away from the scales, and go hiking…….you're trying to save what? 2-4 ounces?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Yes, I hear you and concur.

Unfortunately, it will be a couple of months before I will be able to get out (I promised my wife I would finish building our house first – reasonable enough). So, I have to throw these ideas out there in lieu of the beckoning wilds, or might realize my deprived status. Actually, I really enjoy working on the house and considering our current house is a little to "UL" for a family of 5 (+ one more on the way), we're really looking forward to have a place for both kids & gear.

Then we'll have good reason to celebrate… and maybe some lighter pads too!

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

"you're trying to save what? 2-4 ounces?"

In a forum focused on lightweight hiking where many cut down toothbrushes to save weight, I don't see this idea as unreasonable, or the idea of saving 2-4 ounces without merit.

I don't know if I'd make one myself, but saving weight and retaining comfort and function sounds good to me.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Also reasonable: when so many of us have already cut the pounds off our packs, ounces are the next logical extension of our work. Taking a few ounces off here and there will eventualy cut a pound. When you get to SUL packweights, that two to four ounces may be a significant percentage of your overall packweight.

Also, take a look at getting a large one of the Neoairs and chopping it off. Then you can have a wide pad, at your desired length, with no weight penalty (hat tip, William Pucket).

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'd give it a go, but I don't have the time right now. I have a full length Neoair that I will be chopping up, but I have a trip planned in a couple of weeks so won't be able to do it until afterwards. I've never seen a clearview but you might try to get someone to just "cut" it in half with a thermal impulse sealer (think packaging machine) that will melt the top and bottom together. Then cut the bottom off and your good to go! Whether or not that effect the baffles/inflation I am not sure.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

I think Joe was just making sure that I don't neglect the 'reason' for lightening up. Cheers!

Steven: I'm glad to hear that you're taking the knife to the NeoAir! I ordered the short, but of course, that is where the idea came from and is ultimately intended. Keep us posted on that and good idea on the thermal impulse sealer…any idea where to find one?

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

"I think Joe was just making sure that I don't neglect the 'reason' for lightening up. Cheers!"

His advice is the best so far, go hiking! I can't wait until my schedule clears up enough to get out again. Besides, I've got gear to test! ;)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Aaron, I should first state that I am not sure a thermal impule sealer will work, it was just what comes to mind when I see any type of plastic sealed. Other then packaging companies, I am not sure of where else to find one. You'd have to search/call around. I've got a little one that I plan on testing the neoair fabric with, but I would need to use a big industrial one if it actually worked.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Steve

> I've got a little one that I plan on testing the neoair fabric with, but I would need
    > to use a big industrial one if it actually worked.

Why? OK, you might need to make several welds along the end, but wouldn't that work?

Cheers

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Roger,
    I could probably get a seal, but it may not look too pretty. The problem is that my sealer has a hinged hot bar on it so it may be tough to get the middle seal done. I'd have to see what the length of it is…actually, i think it may be 12 inches or so…that would work, but I won't try until after my next hike. I don't want to buy another pad before I even use this one!

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Seam sealers are used to close plastic bags. They are found in packaging supply companies.
    For example:
    http://www.packagingprice.com/forms/product_listing.cfm?CategoryID=10088&desc=Plastic+Bag+Sealers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools