Topic

Awesome Utah Trip! Planning Suggestions Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Awesome Utah Trip! Planning Suggestions Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

So for our 5-year anniversary in November, I convinced my wife that we could go away on a trip to the canyon country. This has been a sorta "life list" trip for us, so we're gonna go for it.

My idea, since we're short on vacation time, is to take a 5-day trip to Zion area in SW Utah. We'd fly in to Vegas, spend a little time/$ there, then head off to Zion area for 3+ days.

Our idea of lodging would be some lodge, vacation rental, park cabin, or even a yurt (she'd LOVE this!). We're trying to do this for under $100 a night, but we don't want to camp. We just want to get out into the desert SW and do some hiking (canyon hiking), and whatnot.

Any suggestions on where to stay? What trails to do? I'm acrophobic, so unfortunately I think Angels Landing is out.

Eric Falk
    Spectator

@zerolimit

Until I read your last sentence I was going to suggest Angels Landing. It was fantastic but yes when you get to the point to where you'd start Angels Landing and see the tiny trail leading to the end it is stomach dropping. I almost didn't do it and I've never had heights stop me before. I was only there for one night and camped but along the road to the park there are many bed and breakfasts. I know my wife would have loved to stay in one of them so being it's your anniversary maybe that'd be something nice to do and then drive the 1 mile into the park everyday. Enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful place.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

You have lots of options. From vegas you can hit, Zion, Bryce; under the rim trail… Escalante is great and you have that park and Glen canyon to go to on day hikes. Escalante outfitters is cool and they have simple cabins to rent. Goblin State park is a awesome day hike or you can stay by Capitol Reef, they have lots of hotels and great parks all around.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Thanks for the info so far.

I know we won't have that much time on the trip to do all the parks. Maybe I'll try to get the Visitors Guide to Zion, Bryce, Cap Reef, Goblin SP (Which I heard is AWESOME), and maybe a stop at the Big Ditch (North Rim). That'll help us choose which parks we'd want to hit for a hike/stay.

I know this is a quick trip, and the short time we'd be at these parks may never be enough time to truly enjoy them, I think it's better for us just to go, than to never have gone.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Eric is spot on. Zion is a beautiful place! Angels Landing is not to be missed, but do it early. It can get very crowded. I spent 5 day's in Zion last May, and had a wonderful time. I also did Hop valley/Kolob Arch, the East Rim/Cables, Hidden Canyon, and West Rim. Alas, I wanted to solo the Narrows, but the water was too high. My advice is don't rush through the place. Take your time there.

Paul

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Thanks for the help on the hiking spots. Where did you stay? Camp or in a lodge?

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Hi Joe,
    Sorry I took so long to get back. I stayed five nights at the Zion Canyon campground in Springdale. Springdale is the South "gateway" to the park. Campground positives: it's on the free public shuttle route to the park, has showers, electric available, kind of cheap at $25, some shady tent sites, near restaurants. Negatives: crowded, noisy, RV's, and very dusty. Don't drive to the Park or you'll pay the entrance fee. Use the public shuttle. No cars allowed in the canyon. The park service operates their own TH shuttles.
    The campground is 435-772-3237. I stayed in site F7. It has shade for the tent. I used the Zion Adventure Company for paid shuttles to the West rim TH and the East rim TH. Expensive, but useful. they're number is 435-772-1001 (zionadventures.com)
    Hope this helps.
    Paul

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools