Topic

Alcohol Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol Stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Fritterling

@medylami

Locale: Southeast

I'm looking for a good SUL alcohol stove that is the perfect size for a MSR Titan (.85L) Pot. I would prefer pressurized, but anything will do. If you know where to buy a pre-fabricated stove or if you know where I can download construction plans for one, please let me know! I tried to find the minibulldesigns elite, but apparently they aren't being sold anymore. What do you thinks??

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Have you tried looking at the Caldera Cone for the Msr Titan?

Dustin Fritterling

@medylami

Yeah, I just looked it up and it seems like a pretty good design. 2 oz. isn't too bad, and the cone looks like it goes a good job of windscreening and ventilating. The only potential problem I see with the unit is how to properly store the rigid cone/screen. It looks like other people are wrapping it around another object or rolling it up inside something. Have you personally used this product?

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

"Have you tried looking at the Caldera Cone for the Msr Titan?"

Geez, where's Ben?

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

Andrew Skurka makes a great Cat-Can alki stove on you tube thats super easy to make and would probably pair well with your .85L pot! Check it Out see if its for you-

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Dylan- The Caldera is an awesome setup. Very fuel efficient, far more than makes up for any "additional" weight in fuel savings. It comes with a storage caddy that you can use as a bowl/mug. Tupperware makes some storage containers that some models will fit into, as well. I hate to make the comparison, but the caddy has Jetboil-like packing efficiency. The stove, cone, fuel, lighter, and everything else slide into and store easily in the caddy. (though admittedly the caddy is a little heavier than the stove.)It's more $$, but I really like the Ti-Tri–offers the possibility of wood burning, and I like the flexibility of the Ti foil a bit more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

With regards to plans for a semi-pressurized alcohol stove, just google alcohol stoves or go to zen stoves and start there. They are easy to make and a soda can stove combined with the right pot and windscreen will boil 2 cups of cold water in less than 6 minutes. If you have the time to play around, give it a try. It only takes a few minutes to put a stove together and it is a good stress reliever to sit down with a few cans and focus on something constructive.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

White Box Solo…Bill had that pot in mind when he made the smaller WB stove.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

I have one for the MSR Titan and the BPL 550. Both work very well for 3 season backpacking. 2 cups boil with about 15ml of fuel and everything can pack up into the caddy they sell. The caddy can also double as a bowl of sorts and a cup (take a look at AGGs website). The whole set up (screen, stove, caddy) weighs in at 124 grams. Try doing a search on BPL for the Caldera system and you will find some very positive reviews of it.

Dustin Fritterling

@medylami

Thanks for the input everyone. I will try to post later when I've found the "perfect" stove or when I've made one. Lol.

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

I cast my vote for the Caldera Cone. I have both the Caldera Cone for the MSR kettle as well as the White Box Solo. Although more compact overall, I find the White Box stoves to be less fuel efficient due the fuel needed to allow the stove to fully pressurize before you can begin heating water. The stove that comes with the Caldera Cone doesn't need to pressurize before you begin heating your water. It is also my experience that the White Box Solo will not bring 3 cups of water to boil on one fuel filling while the Caldera Cone will do so.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

+1 for caldera cone

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools