Topic

Gear in “Tough Times”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear in “Tough Times”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I got an email blitz from BACKPACKER Mag today, and in it they had their "Gear Chick" Kristin answer some email question.

The person was asking about still buying gear in "tough times", and what catagory to go for, and what to skimp on.

Her response isn't anything like BPL, but it is interesting. Kristin said that they can outfit 2 people for like $400-500.

I believe that there is a thread around here where some posters created a list of LW gear to outfit someone in the range of $150.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just getting a bag that's both warm and worthy of the LW moniker will set you back $150.

Compared to many other outdoor hobbies/sports, backpacking is actually one of the cheaper ones. But in tough times, even $400-500 can be difficult for some.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I backpack because I'm poor, can't afford much else. It's cheaper than golf, gambling, fine dining, motorboating, and big game hunting, and just about everything else.

I don't even venture more than 200 miles from home, if I have to travel across the country to do something, I'll find a new hobby.

Some of the local rednecks laugh at me for spending $400 for a sleeping bag. I laugh at them because they're miserable, they're making payments on $4,000 worth of guns, $4,000 ATV, $14,000 Harley Davidson, $24,000 Bass Boat, $24,000 camper trailer, etc… I think I'll stick with poor boy roughing it backpacking.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I'm certain that the backpacker crowd would be closer to the 400-500 mark for typical gear selection and it actually seems like a reasonable suggestion. It could be done with less of course, but their market isn't likely to do the following:
    Be gentle with gear
    Pair up clothing with sleeping systems for additional warmth
    Make any of their own equipment
    Buy used equipment
    Do their own seam sealing
    Think outside the box for any solutions (ie using gatoraid bottles instead of nalgenes…)

$150 is a extremely hard goal for UL and it ONLY works in warmer climates. Even if you make your own bag yourself a kit will set you back $70 or more which would significantly limit the rest of your options.

Let us not be so confident in our conniving multi-use items that we forget that the actual cost of all that we carry. Sure, you may have a stove that cost $.50 and get a plastic long handled spoon from dairy queen instead of a titanium one, but your sleeping bag and pack alone are likely to be $300+.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This is a great topic. Last November, I researched our Gear Swap forums, eBay, and our local thrift store, and tried to outfit my hypothetical self with gear that was decent enough for comfortable and lightweight 3-season backpacking. I "spent" about $160 bucks on:

Pack, tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain jacket and pants, puffy jacket, long underwear, supplex shirt and pants, wool hat, fleece gloves, stove, and pot.

The rest of the accessories and consumables you can pick up for less than $50 – new – pretty easily.

The whole kit weighed less than 10 pounds. The limiting piece of gear was the bag, which was a used Campmor 40*F down bag, 2 lbs.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I agree with the previous poster–while it can be done light and cheap, that most likely isn't the norm. I'm always amazed when somebody posts on the gear swap forum that they are cleaning out extra gear in their closet, and the list is like 15 items and around $1000 for it all–and a lot of what is being sold has never been used. How many people buy a couple hundred dollar item and put it immediately into a closet to be forgotten about?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Tough times or not, I really think that one big reason why so many people end up accumulating gear is "the sale". How many times have we read here (and elsewhere) that such and such piece isn't great or well fitting or whatever — but hey, for $15, what's there to lose? Well, $15 for starter, plus years of closet storage space.

I honestly think that by doing our homework and buying the best that we can afford, we end up spending a lot less than by vacuuming up all kinds of stuff at "great prices" at REI yard sales and Backcountry.com 40% Off sales. Not saying that inexpensive gear won't fit our needs (they certainly can) — but what "kills" us is the impulse buying. Such a deal!

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

"How many people buy a couple hundred dollar item and put it immediately into a closet to be forgotten about?"

More than we care to think. I know for me, I always buy something thinking it is the last and best purchase for that particular item.

For example, take my shelter(s). The first lightweight shelter I had was a SMD Gatewood Cape. Took it on local hikes and then to Mt. Whitney. I thought it was the last shelter I would have. Well, I went with our scouts to Philmont Scout Ranch last year. Guess what? No tarps allowed. So, I bought a Gossamer Gear, "The One". I really love this tent. Complete water and bug protection. I also bought, from the Gear Swap, a Double Rainbow and a Contrail for my boys and presumably they belong to the boys.

Now, as I plan for my JMT trip this year I find myself wanting another type of shelter. So, I now have a GG SpinnTwinn (to share with my son) along with a bivy. As for now, I can say I am covered with my shelters, but, who knows what the future will bring? That cuben sure looks nice…

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

I'm totally guilty when it comes to having multiple items that serve the same purpose, especially packs, bags and shelters–however all of mine have seen a lot of use. I was just commenting on buying something expensive, then selling it at a later date still unused and at a hefty loss.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Yeah, I get it. I think sometimes we just buy things that we think we need and then when we get it we find we don't use it and it just sits around. Better to sell at a loss than to have it in the garage at a complete loss!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

" I was just commenting on buying something expensive, then selling it at a later date still unused and at a hefty loss."

One can easily avoid that by buying gear when they go on sale — or buying them used right here on this forum. Doing this will help recoup your money when you later change your mind.

I've kept a list of every gear item purchased since 2004, when I first began backpacking. On that list, 47 items were later sold. I paid $3,680.63 for those 47 items and got back $3,680.10 when I sold them. Indeed, I was actually making a "tiny profit" until a sale just last week put me right at breaking even.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I think this is starting to drift off the original topic, but I too am always amazed at the amount of gear I see here, ebay, and elsewhere being sold new and unused.

Often it's "I had a trip planned, it fell through," or maybe you lost the tags, or kept it too long; often it's just plain 'addiction' for lack of a better word. Right now I'm talking myself into returning a ULA Ohm. I ordered it and the GG Gorilla. In an close call, I went with the Gorilla. There's no reason to keep the Ohm, because it fills exactly the same niche. But I want to, really badly, because it's just a fine piece of workmanship. I tell myself I'll switch off packs, and the Ohm *does* have more volume, etc, but I know in 3-4 months, I'll be looking at something that I really could use, (winter tarp, say) and then my credit card bill, and then in the closet at the Ohm (used once or twice), and I'll end up selling the Ohm at a loss just to get some money back.

But I find my biggest downfall is, as Ben said, 'the sale.' I know exactly what piece of gear I want, but then I see something on gear swap, or ebay, or 40% off, and it's close to what I want, but not exactly, but the deal's so good, I *have* to get it. In the end Though, I still want what I originally wanted, not a cheaper approximation. So now I'm trying to keep myself from buying deals, and instead just spending the extra money on exactly what I want, which ends up being cheaper in the long run.

I bought cheap sports authority/campmor/walmart gear for years. Maybe setting yourself a low budget and trying to meet might be a fun challenge, but in the end more expensive, quality gear is just a better overall deal. Not only will it last longer, it's really not *that* much more expensive, and if you buy from a cottage gear maker, you're not contributing to a sweatshop. owner.

It's funny because part of the UL philosophy is the keep it minimal and light on the trail, but then at home our closets are anything but minimal. In the end, it's just knowing when to say when.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well said, James. Yeah, the thread has drifted and it's probably my fault.

For me, new gear — esp. tents and packs — are almost irresistable. And yet, I am also a minimalist who hates clutter. Having unused gear, clothing, or just about anything else in the house just drives me crazy.

Thank heavens for online stores with their sales and "no hassle returns" on the one end, and thank heavens for Ebay at the other end. I'm constantly buying and trying out new gear, but rarely have more than one or two similar gear pieces at any given time. If I buy a new piece and want to keep it, I'll force myself to sell whatever it is meant to replace.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I would say i'm a minimalist in most ways, apart from gear collecting.
    I just can't bring myself to let any gear go. I always make excuses. I seem to have a shelter for every month of the year, never mind seasons. Like wise packs. I think i have one to suit every possible set-up.
    Don't get me started on clothing set-ups!
    It's definately an illness. :)

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

We accumulate gear for a few reasons. The first is incredible sales. The other is the expectancy of always having the perfect pack, shelter or bag, etc. for any given trip. While I advocate for this position for any difficult, long or serious trip, it is impractical for weekend trips or other short forays. I am a victim of this, and I know it.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I get attached to stuff too. I know I have to be careful about buying things because I have a hard time returning them. I'll find plenty of rationalizations. I'm like a high-maintanence woman coordinating handbags and shoes. I mean, really, you do *need* gear to cover every single possible set of conditions, right? You can't use a 30 degree bag when it's 37 degrees! And backpacks should cover 5 lb increments of comfort, shouldn't they? You know, a 10-15lb pack, a 15-20 pounder, and of course you also need those in bushwacking and non-bushwacking fabrics. And on and on . . .

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I would love to spend a few days exploring Mike Reid and Jonathan Boozer's gear rooms!

James — it gives us comfort and perhaps also a sense of readiness and security when our gear arsenal allows us to "dial in" to the precise conditions outside. Having said that, I think we all know deep down that some part of this is psychological…

Changing topic a bit, curious, what about "seller remorse"? Has anyone ever bought a tent or pack — sold it — and then go out any buy the exact same one again later on? I must confess that I have — and not just once either. :)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've bought the same item of clothing in different colors. My justification was that one would be better for stealth camping, and the other brighter one would be good for winter if i ever needed SAR. :)

" would love to spend a few days exploring Mike Reid and Jonathan Boozer's gear rooms!"

Ben. I live in a one bedroom apartment. My home IS a gear cupboard! :)

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Leave me out of this…I am slaying my dragons on my own! ;) I have issues and I am rather familiar with them. We cuddle sometimes.

BTW – I have owned the 08 Jam2 3 times, 08 Ion twice and BD Lighthouse twice.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK, I haven't owned anything 3 times! But certain tarptents — and the Steripen, I have owned twice…

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Personally, I'd say never skimp on the sleeping bag. A great place to save weight and volume and function. My biggest "skimper" would be clothing. Reality is, thrift store clothing can readily do the trick–and since it's so cheap, it's no biggie to cut it up and modify it to suit your needs.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I'm loving this thread.

If I lived in the USA I would buy so much stuff. Living in Aus helps to restrain one's gear "appetite" because you generally can't return things if you don't like them, and it's harder to offload them to other BPLers (shipping costs etc).

So I'm a gear deal window shopper. Every 6 months or so the urge becomes irresistible (Backcountry 40% off!) and I go knocking at the door of my trusted Gear Enabler (guess who!) who kindly forwards a box of stuff on to me.

Ben… you say you've sold 47 items over the past 5 years or so. How many have you bought? I'm curious as to the percentage "success rate". Of course, it must be skewed heavily because you are able to return stuff immediately if you don't like it. But what percentage do you keep, and then still end up having to sell because it doesn't work out?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ashley:

I have indeed bought more than I need to because of easy return policies. Also, every now and then, when I spot a particularly good deal, I will even buy with the expressed intention of reselling (hopefully making a little profit). At the end of the day, I generally keep two sets of gear — one for deluxe use and one UL set for more difficult hikes.

But focusing on the "Big Four":

Tent — bought and sold 2 tents in one month before settling on the BA Seedhouse 2 SL (just recently sold off). I now have a BS Evolution 2P and a Rainbow.

Pack — bought and sold one pack (REI Morningstar) before settling on my beloved Mountainsmith Ghost. My ul pack is a Zpack Z1.

Bag — bought and sold one bag (Kelty Lightyear 25) before settling on my beloved MontBell's. My two bags are the MB No. 3 (30F) and Thermal Sheet (50F) — they can be combined into a 15F 'system'.

Pad — bought and sold one — exchanging 2.25 lbs pad for 10oz blue foam. Alas, due to old age, I've since "graduated" to a self inflating pad. I also just recently purchased a BA IAC air mattress. Which to keep to be determined.

Everybody else (e.g. Mike Reid, Jonathan Boozer, etc.) — feel free to list out ALL your Big Four gear items…

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Excellent topic & thread.

This makes me think about the days when I was a kid getting into hiking and funding it with my paper route money:

My idea of UL/$L was a pool float for a pad and a flannel sleeping bag rolled up together and thrown over your shoulder or in an old canvas backpack. You wear all your clothes day & night, wear skate shoes + 2 pair cotton socks and could run all over place. Dads carried food and cooking gear and who needs tents when there are steep overhanging cliff faces! (Red River Gorge, KY)

My favorite piece of mail was the the Sierra Trading Post catalog. We also had a guy who ran a clandestine gear shop out of his basement in the evenings who had mostly climbing gear – he was an engineer by day and would sell gear at just a wee bit over cost, just to keep the local kids supplied. He had accounts with lots of big name companies… I still have the same original XGK that I bought from him!

Ashley:

I have a friend down there in Oz who used to buy gear from all over the place and have it shipped to me so that I could package it up and send it to him in big boxes a couple of months before an expedition. I don't know what he'd do without eBay.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

tent(s): Bibler Eldorado, SMD Lunar Solo, Bibler winter bivy, TT Cloudburst

packs: ULA P1, ULA P2, Golite Ion, Golite Jam, Golite Pinnacle, Golite 24

bag: WM Versalite, WM Pod 30, WM Megalite

pad: Ridgerest, Blue Foam, GG 1/8", Prolite 3

All items have been used on different thru-hikes, and all items are meant to replace an earlier piece of gear at a lighter weight. I could sell some of them, but they are used and have sentimental value (and I'm not at all sentimental). My girlfriend says I love gear like a girl loves shoes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools