Topic

Dr Bronner’s or Baking Soda?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dr Bronner’s or Baking Soda?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Ok so for the last few years I've been using baking soda for all my hygiene needs (yes, even for brushing my teeth). I've noticed that a lot more people seem to use Dr Bronner's soap instead though. I have yet to use Dr Bronner's but I was wondering if I should switch to it. I think Baking Soda may have more uses than Dr Bronner's but I'm thinking I may save weight if I switch to Dr Bronner's. What do you guys think?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Oh……….buck the trend, be a rebel. It's boring when everyone youmeet uses Dr. Bronner's, carries a WM bag and Tarptent in a ULA….

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here is a quote from me to recent thread:
    "I use baking soda in a small BPL mini dropper bottle. I can squeeze out a small amount onto my brush and also use the baking soda for other needs if they come up.
    I can't use Bonners- I hate the taste of soap. My mom would think I liked the taste of soap given the number of time I had my mouth washed out as a kid. I now have a very "clean" vocabulary."

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I use baking soda in a small BPL mini dropper bottle. I can squeeze out a small amount onto my brush and also use the baking soda for other needs if they come up.
    I can't use Bonners- I hate the taste of soap. My mom would think I liked the taste of soap given the number of time I had my mouth washed out as a kid. I now have a very "clean" vocabulary."

I have been using toothpaste for almost 60 years, and I am not going to change. It is going to cost me less than 1 oz in total weight and taste good. Heck just replace any of your stuff sacks with cuben fiber ones if you don't have them already, and you can more than make up the "heavy" weight of toothpaste.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Stick with the baking soda. I made the switch from Dr. Bronner's and never looked back. There's no need for soap in the backcountry. Plus, as Tad mentioned, it tastes terrible in your mouth.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

There is a reason it's called Dr Bronners soap and not Dr Bronners tooth paste. It's disgusting because it's soap. If you want the same weight as baking soda but better flavor, go to a heathfood store and get some tooth powder instead.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I use Ecodent tooth-powder. It is based on baking soda but has mint and such added for better flavor. A couple of grams of this stuff will last several weeks. Does not leave white spots on the ground where you spit it out either.

http://www.eco-dent.com/

However, for the amount of weight involved here, I think one should use what one likes. A full trial-size tube of tooth paste weighs around 1/2 oz; if good tooth powder was not available, that is what I would use.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Well here's the thing, due to the fact that I had surgery done on my tongue very early in my childhood, I now have very little taste buds. Which is why I have yet to encounter ANY food I didn't like (this is no joke). For this reason, taste is of absolutely no issue to me, the reason I would switch from baking soda to anything else would be purely to save weight. I do not think there is anything out there that has as many uses as baking soda does so unless I can shave off weight by switching from baking soda (atleast .5 oz to make it worth it), then I wouldn't do it.

-Sid

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I second the ecodent. Baking soda makes me gag, and I don't really cuss that much, so I don't want to wash my mouth out with soap.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

ecodent looks good.

I saw colgate toothpowder in a shop today and bought it. Turns out it contains fluoride, so I cant swallow it.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I used ecodent a lot last year; very light (I repackaged in a little bottle I bought on this site), I think it leaves less residue in the woods FWIW, a little goes a long ways.

I'm in the camp with those that wouldn't consider brushing their teeth with the Dr. Bronners. I've heard that some people don't like it used in their house because it leaves a film on the sink (?).

The big issue for me is that I carried a small (repackaged) amount of Bronners last year and basically never used it, in town or out. I don't know if I'm a filthy beast or just "more in touch with nature", but I don't feel the need to wash my whole body in the outdoors. I use purell for my hands, and carry a couple of scentless wetwipe packets to optionally clean up before going into town. I know that others find Bronners as some sort of universal solvent (hey, someone must read the outside of the bottle), but it's something I might just drop entirely from my base weight.

If you can stand baking soda as a toothpaste, I know it has a number of other uses, it might be a great choice. FWIW one thing I did find myself mildly craving after weeks of ecodent was to brush with "real" toothpaste, partly just to get the floridation perhaps (that plus the aluminum foil keep the aliens from controlling my thoughts …).

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

>>>There is a reason it's called Dr Bronners soap and not Dr Bronners tooth paste. It's disgusting because it's soap. If you want the same weight as baking soda but better flavor, go to a heathfood store and get some tooth powder instead.

+1

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

At home, when I run out of toothpaste, I resort to baking soda. It does a durn good job of scrubbing the teeth clean, but it takes a minute to get used to the taste. Other than that, on the trail I can think of using it to make biscuits and as a deordorant. What other uses do you find for it, Sid?

BTW, the only time I use Bronner's is in the shower when I have a cold. The peppermint aroma really opens the nasal passages.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Monty,
    there is a very long list as to how many things I've used baking soda for, but just to name a few other than brushing my teeth with it…

If my clothes or anything else smells really bad I've used baking soda to get rid of the smell.
    I've washed just about everything with baking soda to clean it.
    I've used it on bug bites before (and any other skin irritation I've had for that matter!).
    I've used it as deoderant.
    I've even used it once to relieve a stomache ache by mixing a little bit with water and drinking it.
    You can also use it to put out fires, although I haven't had to use it for that purpose before.
    this is just to name a few…
    I think I just convinced myself to keep using baking soda.

-Sid

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

I my wife, a pharmacist, special order this for me at her drugstore. It tastes the way toothpaste should taste.Arm

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I ordered it from the Arm and Hammer web site a few years ago. Agreed, it is a great product. But it does have a scent, so plain baking soda may be safer in bear country.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

> You can also use it to put out fires, although I haven't had to use it for that purpose before.

What, do you get it in 50# sacks or something?
    What kind of fire would you use baking soda on??

Back to the point…
    I use Dr Bronner's daily, but sure wouldn't brush my teeth with it. I tried that once. Baking soda works fine, but I find that I enjoy real toothpaste, and it's plenty light enough. I'd like to try that powder though.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You could use baking soda to snuff out a kitchen grease/oil fire.

Using water on that sort of fire will result in a large flare up/explosion.

I have been using a mix of 60% baking soda and 40% salt.

The salt is an anticeptic or sorts.

I have to admit that it tasted nasty to me in the beginning, but I am used to it now…my wife and 6 yr old daughter use it when we are on the trail and think nothing of it anymore.

Plus, the amount of uses that you can get with baking soda per weight has to be much better than what you would get from a liquid.

-Tony

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I have read that ARM & HAMMER and other tooth powder are fluoridated meaning you cant swallow it.

Ecodent is fluoride-free tooth powder based on baking soda which means you can multiuse it for same purposes as baking soda.

Note that Eco-Dent – Tartarguard SpecialCare Toothpowder is not recommended for swallowing.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> You could use baking soda to snuff out a kitchen grease/oil fire.

You think so? Try it some time… outside please.

A grease fire in the kitchen is easily and quickly extinguished by simply putting the lid on the pan.

I just can't think of anything I could dual-use baking soda for on the trail. Heartburn maybe?
    ?

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Chris,
    Actually the only thing you've pointed out that you can't really use baking soda for on the trail (because you wouldn't have enough of it) is putting out a fire. I definitely don't depend on baking soda for putting out fires, it was just one of the things baking soda can do and I listed it.
    The "dual-uses" of baking soda which you cannot use Dr. Bronners for (or any other kind of soap for that matter), are such things as relieving any kind of skin irritation (such as insect bites, sun burn, rashes, etc.). Also can be used as deodorant and you can use it to clean anything and get rid of bad odors. You can also relieve mild stomache aches if you mix a little bit of baking soda with water and drink it. These are a few common "dual-uses" of baking soda. If you research some I'm sure you could find more.

-Sid

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yep, I'm with Sid.
    After brushing , I swallow the stuff, not that I am that anal about LNT but since I can, why not.
    I also add a little bit to my water for the end of day full wash. It softens the water and deodorises at the same time. But of course baking soda can be an acquired taste, much easier to do (IMHO) the Bronner's soap.
    As a bonus here in Australia we have gum trees (eucalyptus) everywhere, so twigs get used as a toothpick/dental floss, that leaves a nice clean taste in my mouth.
    Franco

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> Actually the only thing you've pointed out that you can't really use baking soda for on the trail (because you wouldn't have enough of it) is putting out a fire.

I was talking about in the kitchen. (Specifically mentioned by Tony, not you). That thing about putting out a grease fire with baking soda is an old wives tail (no offense to old wives).
    Ask a fireman. Really.

Oh, and I also pointed out the fact that I wouldn't use Dr Bronner's for oral hygiene, despite the fact that I enjoy showering with it daily. Guess you missed that part, too.

Hey, so it wasn't ground breaking info… maybe it will save someone's home if they ever have a KITCHEN grease fire.

If you find it useful, by all means, be my guest. I'm not trying to tell you how to hike. Suck up all the bad odors in the forest!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools