Topic

Adding abrasion-resistance to WPB hardshell jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding abrasion-resistance to WPB hardshell jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

I've got a Mont-Bell Peak Shell jacket that's great in every way but the very light (12D) fabric and DWR worries me for long trips with a backpack over it. In the short term, the straps could wear through the DWR before the trip is even over, causing it to wet-out. In the long term, the jacket may not last as long as I'd like.

A possible idea to counter-act this: WPB pads glued or stitched over the existing fabric at high-wear point. McNett makes a self-adhesive Gore-Tex Repair Kit with 5cm x 10cm Gore-Tex pads that you just iron on. Great, but too small for shoulder or waist pads. Anyone know of something very similar but larger I could use for this purpose?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

If the straps are going to be over it most of the time, preventing it from breathing, does it need to be WPB?

One solution may be to just paint the area with Seam Sealer (PU) This is pretty tough AND flexible. You could have someone mark the area of the straps with a pencil or tailors chalk, and then paint it.

Rod

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

You're right – upon further thinking I guess there is no reason for it to be WPB. In fact, it doesn't even have to be waterproof if the jacket under it is.

I found some $1.00 300D nylon iron-on patches at the local store. I think I'll try putting them on. Can anyone think of any reason this might be a bad idea?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools