Topic

East Shoreline Trail and Ohlone Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports East Shoreline Trail and Ohlone Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

So I decided to hike the Ohlone trail (aka the Cow patty trail) that stretches from Del Valle lake to Mission Peak near Fremont. To make it "interesting" I started at the Arroyo Road staging area north of the lake and took the East Shoreline Trail around the east-side of the lake for an additional 10 miles or so. I started at noon and camped the first night at Stewart's camp after the exhausting "Big Burn". I finished in Mission Peak the next day at 5pm, making it ~40 miles (with a sidetrip to Murietta Falls) in 36 hours. "Go-it-Ohlone" (the local Ohlone fanatics club) said I now hold the slightly-supported record (I stopped at the wildflower festival in Sunol for a diet coke and candy bar) for Ultralighters named "Nate".

This was my lightest trip yet (around 8 lbs base-weight) and I realized that when I was heavy-packing I loathed the trail but really enjoyed hanging out in camp. Now that I go lightweight, I have found that I really enjoy the hiking part of the trip and making camp is just secondary. (Though, I don't loathe it as much as I loathed lugging 45 lbs down the trail.) There's just nothing like putting in the earbuds, jamming out to your favorite songs while you slog up the hill, then being rewarded with cold wind, goosebumps, and a breathtaking vista at the top.

I saw lots of young guys lugging their gear and bent over, hands on knees, catching their breath, something I never had to do once….and I'm a smoker! :-0

So got a chance to test out some new stuff…..

My best find for the trip is the plastic long-handled spoons McDonald's gives out for free! If you are eyeing buying one of those titanium ones, save the cash and get one of these.

I left the Petzl and tried out the Photon Freedom. Didn't really work for me though, because I took it off the clip for some reason or another, then laid it down and couldn't find it in the dark. Did without light until morning time and wished I had the headlamp which, at 2.75 ounces, is heavy and fool-proof.

I went without a knife altogether and realized it is practically impossible to open the Aquimira Tablet packaging without one. Couldn't get them open at all….so I ended up boiling some water that looked particularly suspect (there are cows everywhere up there) when I didn't completely trust the Steripen.

I used the Tyvek bivy I posted about in the MYOG gear forum and tried my damnedest to get condensation inside without luck. Although the Gatewood Cape I was using was absolutely soaked with dew and condensation, I was nice and dry inside the bivy. Very happy with the bivy so far.

Overall it was a pleasant hike. The best part for me was from Rose peak to Mission peak. I took an alternate route through Sunol so as to hike through Little yosemite, which is a nice diversion after 19 miles of ridgetop hiking. Was not impressed with the section from Del Valle to Rose peak but was very glad I did this section first as I got all the hard climbing done in the first few hours and had a leisurely second day.

The best part of the trip was I was able to take public transportation to the trailhead (Bart then Bus) and back home, making arranging a ride or shuttle totally unnecessary.

Anyway, here are some photos:

Figured out what happens when a turkey crosses the road….not very much it turns out:

Turkeys

Trailhead on Arroyo road (Shadow Cliffs in background):

trailhead

First view of Del Valle lake and Ohlone wilderness behind it:

Delvalle

Plenty of beaches to relax on hiking around the lake:

on the lake

Fog and clouds rolled in on the ridge top at night making it quite chilly:

clouds

Mount Diabo sunset:

Diabo

Frost!:

frost

Rose Peak was completely enshrouded the whole hike. Really glad I didn't stay at Maggie's Half-Acre:

Rose peak

View down into "Little Yosemite":

Little Yosemite

The climb up Mission peak was very easy compared to the previous day's "Big Burn":

Mission peak

I could just barely make out Del Valle from the top of Mission Peak:

del valle

Civilization!:

Civilization

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Nice trip report Nate- I have been in that area quite a few times over the years. I really like to take my boy to Little Yosemite area (easy for a 7yr old) I live just on the other side of that picture you took of Mt Diablo. The Bay Area has some great public transportation for sure. You should try Mt Diablo some time!!

-Jay

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Jay,

I did Mt. Diablo on your suggestion last weekend. =) Started in the Shell Ridge Open space preserve (a quick walk from Walnut Creek Bart) then walked on the Briones-to-Diablo trail to Juniper camp, then came out the other side in Mitchel Canyon where I got a ride back.

Was really beautiful (better than Ohlone, I think) and I saw several coyotes up close just jaunting down the trail.

Definitely going to do a car-camping trip to Juniper sometime with my friends….great views. Like being on an airplane above the city! And so warm!

Oh, and I bumped into Jeremy Pendry (BPL member) walking his dog Bingo.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

You should of emailed me or something. It takes two minutes to get to Shell Ridge Trailhead (walking) from my house and it takes about 4 hrs to get the top of Mt Diablo from my house. Me and Jeremy have done a lot of hikes out there in the Open Space. I would like to organize a summer hike with all the Bay Area BPL Members and do a out and back from my house to Mt Diablo (8hrs) and then have a BBQ at my house- Party ETC, ETC. I will talk to Jeremy and Tony Wong and try to get something going!!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nathan,

Great photos of your trip and thanks for sharing them.

Really pretty time of the year to see everything so green.

Did you hear planes buzzing overhead every 15 minutes?

When Jeremy and I went a few years back, the only annoying thing was realizing that the trail was in the flight path for planes coming into SFO.

Jay….count me in for a trip up to Mt. Diablo!

-Tony

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Nate: It was nice to run into you on your way up Mt. Diablo. It's a good time of year to hike Ohlone and Mt. Diablo. I've been hiking the Mt. Diablo area quite a bit over the last few weeks. Lots of wildflowers as I'm sure you saw.
    Glad you had good trips. Next time you can stop at my house for a beer on the way up :)
    -Jeremy.

BTW – When all the planes were buzzing Tony and me along Ohlone in October 2006, we were camped at Maggie's Half-Acre. Nonetheless, I still recommend Maggie's Half-Acre as a campsite. Good views and decent campsites and I think the planes stopped flying past a certain hour.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools