Topic

Buying down fill

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Buying down fill

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

I had an idea (and a problem )I thought I'd share. I need to get 800+ down into measured quantities. I've seen people who use ziplock bags to portion it up or other methods but what about just ordering up to 9 seperate orders from Seven Wonders in 2 oz increments. I bet I could even contact them to portion it for me in one order. Thoughts? or suggestions?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Shipping will kill you on 9 orders. I just zero my scale with a paper towel tube, then stuff down in the tube until I get what I want, and push it out. I always mean to ask Seven wonders if I can get it in smaller bags, but forget.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Thru-Hiker sells 800fp down in 3oz packages.

But Joe is correct, not hard to measure/manage if you have the kind of scale that a UL packer would need anyway.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Joe

> paper towel tube, then stuff down in the tube until I get what I want, and push it out.

BRILLIANT!
    And if done inside a large plastic bag to restrain the rest of the down…

Cheers

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

I've got the right scale for it, but I want to use a vaccum cleaner which poses a problem. If I put it in the paper towel roll then I must transfer it back, then into the vaccum. Maybe Ill just get rid of the vaccum part. Thanks for the ideas!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools