Topic

R1 hoody $69

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals R1 hoody $69

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

Patagonia has R1 hoodies on sale for $69.

http://tinyurl.com/cav58n

Nick Chen

@fleetparadox

Locale: Socal

That's a great price.

Too bad they don't have black.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

I actually have been really trying not to buy any more black gear… too much black stuff in the bottom of my sleeping bag/pack at those 3am alpine starts, and I can't sort out my gloves/shirts/jackets from each other. Get two people in a dark tent full of black gear and it's really a mess! I got a red one.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Thanks, I just picked one up.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Not only is black impossible to see at night, especially against a black sleeping bag or inside a pack with black extension collar, but it is also not the greatest color to have around my perpetually shedding blond dog! That's why khaki is THE fashion color for me, whether at home or in the wilds.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

Just picked one up in Please don't shoot me orange ;-)

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Sorry to veer off-course, but how does a R1 fleece hoody compare to something like a merino hoody?

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

While I don't own a merino midweight hoody, I do own an R1 and other merino layers. I find that the R1 really is quite nice – as a second layer, there really isn't the smell factor, and while not as soft as merino, the fit is decent, and the thing is well made. For $69, I'd say go for it, especially when a similar decent merino item will set you back at least $120.

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

Bought! Thanx!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

While I found a merino hoody priced about the same, I have some qualms about getting the merino. I'd hate to pay $70 for it, and have the chance that my wife accidentally shrinks it to sausage casing when she does the laundry.

David Ure

@familyguy

Can you wear a backpack directly on these or would it wear quickly under the shoulder straps?

nategfunk
    Spectator

@jegsmith-2

The R1 fabric has a hard outer face so I dont think it will have any problems under pack straps. I haven't noticed any problems with my r1 garments in this regard.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Jon.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

ask and you shall receive. was debating and now i'm forced into it! I went for the cheney-target-practice orange :P

L. T.

@guinness1759

I already have the R1 without a hood. Will the hood make that much of a difference to buy another?

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

The hood just means you don't have to pack a balaclava or a hat.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

YES!

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

lol. i knew matt couldn't resist!

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I will defend hoods on my torso layers until the day I die. The exception to this rule is any piece that is exclusively meant as an inner layer, such as a Montbell ExLite jacket, or their other non-hooded inner layers (UL Down Inner and UL Thermawrap JACKET).

My current system is either a Capilene 1 LS (maybe new BPL hoody?)or R1 hoody, hooded Ether windshirt, Montbell UL down parka or Thermawrap parka and a hooded rain gear – either a poncho/tarp or Rab Drillium jacket.

And seriously, softshells are useless without hoods, too. Major manufacturers need to stop making softshells without hoods. Please stop making sub-par softshells without hoods – without a hood they cannot be an shell. They turn into urban wear.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools