Topic

Please Help Newbie with JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Please Help Newbie with JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Not at all, if you can keep up the washing a fresh shirt and undies is a nice addition. Again, I would get a long sleeve merino and wear that the whole time. Wash it every week maybe if it got really salty. Some silk tops and bottoms do make for a nice set of pjs for a small weight addition. I too would recommend a small alchy stove for a cup of tea or oatmeal every couple days when your spirits need it.

Kevin Yang

@kjyang

That cat can stove is freaking amazing! I didn't even know such thing existed. I'm gonna try and see if I can make one before I leave. I have tons of tasks to finish at work and at home before I depart, AND, I just got into a 4-car accident last night. I'm ok though and the JMT trip is still going on.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Your plan to only carry 1 quart of water is a good one but you really don't need to carry a water filter on the JMT. Just be smart when you collect water and wash your hands with hand sanitizer when you use the facilities.

If you still feel like you should purify water, someone suggested the Steropen. That is a great idea since it is so light. Another great idea is Klear Water. I beleive Klear Water will soon be available from BPL but if not then you can email XiniX directly to get them to ship it to you. One 32oz bottle weighs 2.9oz. You really only need to use this when you are in a more questionable area. Like Leconte Valley where pack mules roam. At higher elevations, the water is cleaner than the water you are drinking at home.

For Klear Water: “I received 32 oz bottles of Klear Water directly from Xinix by emailing them at [email protected]

They mailed me 3 32oz bottles and I mailed them a check for the amount + postage after I received the product.”

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools