Topic

2023 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2023 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

The 2023 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open was announced by Dave C, is as follows:

The 2023 Open will start at 0800 MDT, Saturday May 27th, at the Owl Creek TH on Holland Lake, and finish at the obelisk at Marias Pass.  Course area is all public land in Montana.    The usual guidelines apply.

-This is not a race.

-You must be entirely self-supported and self-contained.  Take everything you need, and leave nothing behind but footprints.  Any pre-planned assistance of any kind is forbidden.

-Any form of human-powered locomotion is allowed within the identified course area.  No linear travel on the surface of paved roads.

-You are responsible for you.  Come prepared for challenging conditions which can easily, with improper luck or preparation, turn life-threatening.  Any and all contingency and emergency plans must be arranged in advance by each individual.

Anyone considering it?

James Taylor
    BPL Member

@james-taylor

Locale: Indy

Thanks Mike. I’ve been training for this year, so I’m in. Looking forward to it!

Sandy Hilton
    BPL Member

@sahilton

Locale: PNW

Certainly on my radar.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

James,

Good to hear you will be joining us again!

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

A buddy of mine (younger and fitter) and I are preliminarily planning on joining this year for the first time. I’ve been backpacking and packrafting in the Bob every year for 20 years (summer only), but never joined the Open before.  Hope to make it happen.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Michigan crew planning on a return this year !

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I’ve been training for a long time and if things go right…. I should finally be able to join in as a foot soldier, maybe one day as a floater.  So does 22 miles in 9hrs, with a little over 2100ft gain/loss count for anything?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

It counts; right out of the gate to get over the Swan crest from Holland Lake is a little over 3000′ in 5 miles

Elliot H
    BPL Member

@elliotwdh

I’ll be back for 2023. Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and new terrain.

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

Finally going to make it to the starting line this year, been watching for the last 4 years hoping to make it work. I was a guide in the Bob 10 years ago so I’m really excited to get back into the heart of it! Based in Missoula if anyone wants to team up on some training trips.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

good thing it’s not now, Gates Park is predicted to see -50 F – Yowsers!

we’ll be a balmy -35 thankfully :D

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

This weather has actually had me thinking about how the Blackfeet nation handled some of the brutal weather that area dishes out. I can’t imagine sleeping in a teepee at those temps.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

If memory serves me correctly I remember watching a documentary on that. I believe they used a double layer system with thick fur hides as a layer along with people and body heat. Not saying it would have been pleasant but they were much tougher than us and smarter living in those conditions.

Similar to those who live in parts of Siberia where the average temperatures are -50 on average, schools don’t close till -70

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

tough SOB’s back then without any doubt!

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

this is what i was thinking of

YouTube video

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not UL, but looks cozy!!!

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

lol, there’s nothing UL about -50 or lower…. :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

lol, there’s nothing UL about -50 or lower…. :)

agreed!

darren hull
    BPL Member

@mtboy

Locale: Pinedale

I’m in I think. Looks paddle friendly… if friendly is the right word during high water. Has everybody been keeping up with the drama surrounding the Holland lake land swap? https://www.savehollandlake.com/. There is an open comment period right now. I am not up on the nuances of it but I’m always interested when huge corporations start eating away at our public lands. Not looking to get too political, but researching Holland lake for this year’s route I stumbled on a lot of information.

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

I’m looking into some training trips into the Bob this spring. Just wondering if anyone thinks an out and back from Monture to Hahn Creek cabin is a good trip for training and if the trailhead is accessible. I haven’t been in from Monture before. TIA

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Monture should be accessible (it’s a little shy of the “official” trailhead as they only plow to the bridge).  Last year the Army had pretty much taken over the whole area, hoping they aren’t back this year.

I think it would make great training, time spent on snowshoes is always worth the effort imho.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

I’m definitely a hard maybe.  Been out the last few years due to conflicts with my son’s soccer schedule but he’s graduating this year so the regular Memorial Day tournament probably won’t happen.  Now just depends on my fitness from now until then.  I’ve been deeply missing this experience and really need to get it done at least one more time…..

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

Generally speaking, at what point in the spring do the shifts start working well? I know it will be highly dependent on the snow melt. I’m guessing I’ll need full size snowshoes until mid-April on an average year?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

You’ll definitely want full sized shoes now.  I was potholing bad yesterday in the Elkhorns- a thin layer of crust and then feet of corn snow underneath- builds character :)

There are times full sized snowshoes would be most welcomed in May too, just a matter of the weight then.

Tyler J
    BPL Member

@mnjones

First timer from MN here, planning to be there (finally!). Planning to go on foot as I don’t have much rafting experience.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools