Topic

looking for partner(s) in tri-state area PA/NY/NJ

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips looking for partner(s) in tri-state area PA/NY/NJ

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lexi Z

@miss-chevous

Locale: NE Pa

20 something woman in NE PA sadly loosing my hiking partner to the PCT =( but would love to make new friends and continue hiking in the area. women (any age) preferred but open to others -men, aliens, etc- Cant wait to get out there again!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I may have some free time coming up to hit the trail. Welcome to the Eastern PA club. There's a number of us out there – look here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/12037/index.html

We've gotten together to do some PA AT dayhike sections, but nothing overnight yet together.

Lexi Z

@miss-chevous

hey thanks for the info! i checked out those other threads- pretty interesting. doesnt look like you've all gotten together lately. what are you interested in doing?

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

We've probably all got reasonable excuses for not getting out together since December. One is swamped with income tax preparations, another with work travel, and a thesis for me.

We've typically done some sections along the PA AT, but there are WAY more options out there.

Looking for fellow females to go with? My wife joins me on moderate dayhikes (under 10mi).

Where are you coming from? Do you have any suggestions?

Lexi Z

@miss-chevous

i'm in Scranton right now. as far as suggestions…. well we could do part of the Pinchot- the Big Pine hill trail to Frank Gantz and make a loop that would be less than 7 mi. theres a beautiful view- enjoyable as long as the wind is down and its pretty easy. or… hike up to Hickory run boulder field but thats listed as a difficult trail -although i dont really remember. or… take the coppermines trail up to the AT for a great view…. hike around Bruce Lake…. lots of options

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Though this doesn't REALLY seem to be a request for hike ideas- I've been considering the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail in Laurel Ridge State Park, for the next time I'm back in my home state- er, commonwealth. It's 70 miles, from Ohiopyle to one of the reservoirs north of Johnstown, along Laurel Ridge. So, it goes through some state game lands and Forbes State Forest, too, and through the Seven Springs ski area. There are shelters, though I understand that they are in poor repair, and they require reservations and a fee. (I plan on using a tarp.) Obviously, I haven't hiked it- I'm just keeping it on my list. It sounds like a great weekend, especially in autumn. But perhaps it is too far west for your needs? (I'm from near Pittsburgh.)

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/laurelridge.aspx

And the maps on this page:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/laurelridge/laurelridge_maps.aspx

look good enough to navigate with, if you print them off on your own.

Lexi Z

@miss-chevous

Yeah especially right now i think i'd rather stick to day trips citing lack of proper overnight equip -which left with my friend- and (honestly) i havent hiked more than a few miles solo since i was ten. little leary to be honest of hiking w/o my buddy. GOD I'm sad! anyway looked up Laurel Ridge. does look promising but a 5+ hr drive one way is not appealing at the moment given my current circumstances. i appreciate the idea though. =) not to get off topic but i gather you are over seas (duh) have you hiked much of PA? hiked any other areas of interest?

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

The LRT is something that's really nice, but it has its drawbacks. When doing some homework on it, I noticed a LOT of water sources being fouled.

I believe that reservations are cheap, REQUIRED, and you MUST stay at the shelters (though rodent-infested). I've even heard stories of rangers visiting the shelters to check on reservations, and ticketing those without a reservation. Who knows if the same will hold true of stealth campers, outside the shelter area.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I'm much more comfortable with day trips now too, since time is scarce. I've been up to the Pinchot (north loop) before, really nice and different.

Never been to Hickory Run yet. We typically stay along the AT. An it's really difficult to get other options here in the Lehigh Valley.

What about Nescopeck SP along I-80? I've heard that one is interesting.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Bummer.

No, I really haven't hiked much in PA. I escaped Pittsburgh at a young age and got into hiking later. Another option I'm considering is hiking or perhaps biking the Rails-to-Trails link from Washington D.C. to downtown Pittsburgh. It follows the old canal towpath deep into Maryland then cuts north through Uniontown, I think.

The overseas thing is because I'm in the military. Frankly, hiking in Germany is a pain in the a$$. I have a thread on it here, somewhere. Essentially, it is de-facto illegal to camp here in any manner that most people on this forum would find remotely interesting.

BUT, I'm headed back to CONUS soon!

For shorter hikes, I sent a buddy of mine a copy of this book a while back:

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Allegheny-National-Forest-Northwestern/dp/0811733726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239710795&sr=8-1

It has a lot of shorter trails in it. Probably still WAY too far west for you. (My buddy lives in Camp Hill.)

I remember reading another book that had a bunch of hikes to and through all of the abandoned railroad tunnels through the Allegheny mountains. Hmm. What book was that? I'll think about it.

Still, too far west.

christopher witter
    BPL Member

@cwitter

Locale: Mid Atlantic

You could take Coppermine Trail to the AT to Sunfish Pond (Lunch there)and come back down one of the other trails, I can't remember the name but I believe it is a yellow blaze to the road and walk ~.5 – 1 mile back to the Coppermine parking lot. Probably less then 8 miles round trip.

Lexi Z

@miss-chevous

somehow this got into a discussion on WHERE to hike. lol unfortunately that isn't my problem. i can think of a ton of places to go. sorry guys but i need ppl to hike WITH =( a group get together, something… for the love of pete there must be SOME women hikers out there willing to talk to me! lol

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Lexi,

Not sure where this thread went to either. For that matter, where did my "upcoming trail time" go as well? Send me a PM, and maybe I'll get something together. My wife would probably come too, for your female companionship.

What's your availability? Are you a student with free time, or a full-time worker?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools