Topic

2020 Ultralight Thru Hike Gear List 8.7lb BPW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2020 Ultralight Thru Hike Gear List 8.7lb BPW

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

I had previously posted my 2019 gearlist here in the forum, and this post is for my 2020 version that has undergone a few changes. Here is a link to the new 2020 version:

2020 Ultralight Thru Hike Gear List 8.7lb BPW

Some notes:

– I just re-built my blog on a new platform (Hugo with my own custom theme) and content creation is much more inspiring now. So that’s exciting. I plan to do a bunch of trips this summer and will document more of them

– After an 8-week High Sierra and Utah blitz last year I had a chance to see what worked and what didn’t

– The refinement and intuitive ease of use of my Pa’lante pack just kept pulling me away from the HMG hauler I was using. If bear canisters didn’t exist I would never look back

– I had a lot of cramped campsites and the flat tarp was a bit unwieldy. I had used the Gatewood Cape on tons of trips in the past and loved it, so I sold some unused gear to get a Zpacks Pocket Tarp with Doors. (no zipper and no hood hole, yay!)

– As much as I love the idea of a bivy, I prefer a false bottom quilt, or hoodless bag like the FF Taniger. Too many low dew point nights creating condensation between bivy and bag. I’ll probably get a very thin synthetic overbag for my quilt to extend range, mitigate overspray and solve the dew issue. I am a cold sleeper and drafts drain heat from me like crazy, so an open bottom quilt has never worked, or I never figured out how to use them well enough

– Short shorts, um yup. Switched out long short+boxer for short short+liner

– Better ear protection when sleeping with ear-flap Hooligan hat

– Dead simple, stress-free, and fair price made me go for a CCF sleeping pad again. It takes up precious space inside the tiny Pa’lante, but….Also, I have a Nemo Switchback pad on order which will save me a little space. I always cut off two panels to shorten the pads as well

– Why doesn’t anyone make a plastic grocery store style food bag out of DCF? IDK, but I’m using a thicker plastic one from Winco Foods rn and love it. Handles for the win

There’s probably a few more notes, but that’s what I have for now…

I hope you find it useful and please feel free to ask questions.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools