Topic

2020 Thermarests with Wing Lock (Uberlite, Neolite, and Xtherm)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2020 Thermarests with Wing Lock (Uberlite, Neolite, and Xtherm)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

My 2020 Uberlite developed a leak after 3+ weeks of use.

As I had anticipated, the leak was located at the fold very close to the new wing lock valve.

Impossible to fix with a patch on the trail, it was an easy repair back home with Seam Grip.

I used the occasion of opening a new tube of Seam Grip to proactively add reinforcement to the same place on the more robust Neoair Xlite.

Where are leaks on the Uberlite developing?

How many are in the vicinity of the new beefy wing lock?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Pics please.

I’ve got an XTherm on the way and I’d like to stay ahead of failures.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Hi Greg, I didn’t think of taking a before photo. Here is an after one, with undiluted Seam Grip slathered on.

As a precaution, I sealed exactly the same place on a new Xlite as well.

I’m looking at getting an Xtherm, too, for the winter.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Just for info, I’ve been using the Uberlite with a 1/16″ EVA pad under it on a DCF floor with polycryo under that.

The leak developed about 1 – 2 cm away from the edge of the wing lock valve, where the fabric material forms a lip that goes around the pad. Given the placement of the leak and the care I took with use, it seems very unlikely that it was caused by a puncture. I’d bet almost certainly that it was due to material failure, but I didn’t try to deal with warranty service (which in the EU generally isn’t as proactive as what you’re used to in the US).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools