Topic

2019 REI Quarter Dome SL 1 tent vs. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 or…?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2019 REI Quarter Dome SL 1 tent vs. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 or…?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Leek
    Spectator

@leek

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So many tent choices (and very much a 1st world problem.)

I was about to jump on a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 when I saw the specs for the 2019 REI Quarter Dome SL 1. To my surprise, the 2019 Quarter Dome is slightly less packaged weight (2 lbs. 6 oz) than the BG Copper Spur 2 (2 lbs. 8 oz). The cheaper price doesn’t hurt either. But the Copper Spur is slightly wider (3 inches/1 inch at head/foot), packs down smaller (BG is 4 x 16.5 inches vs Qtr dome 6 x 19 inches) and seems to be a tried and true favorite.

I usually do 3 day backpack trips and have found I like a certain amount of comfort, side door, roominess(for my mental health) and 2 walls over less weight. At one time was considering the Tarptent Moment.

What think?

spencer c
    Spectator

@spencer92-2-2

I I have the CS1 and like it a lot but the cheaper price/ less weight of the QD makes is pretty attractive. I don’t think the slightly less room would have a huge effect since no 1 person tent is going to have tons of space for extra gear besides you. I would try running to REI and giving both a test sit in and see what feels good. My CS is actually the mtn glow model and les it’s gimmicky but I got it something like 45% off and it adds hardly nothing plus acts as my extra headlamp batteries. It also came in handy when I stubbed my toe and cut it up pretty bad/ deep camping in the beach at Olympic NP walking barefoot at night and needed to clean it out…

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’ve had the CS UL1, and would prefer its greater room (especially head room) and simpler pole configuration over the REI QD1. I also like the mossy green color available in the CS. Also, without stripping all the packaging, there’s no way to know which is the lighter tent…

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Maybe check out the Six Moon Designs Skyscape? Lighter, roomier, similar price. I don’t have one myself, but I’m not sure why it doesn’t get more love. Seems like a crazy airy, side entry, roomy solo shelter.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Also, the REI tent is really semi-freestanding.  The corners at one end need to be staked out (like the BA Fly Creeks).  Is that worth the 2 oz weight savings?  Up to you to decide

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

The Quarter Dome SL 1 is actually designed much more like a BA Tiger Wall or Nemo Hornet – all 3 need corners staked out as the foot end is not pole supported at the corners.

The regular REI Quarter Dome is constructed like the Copper Spur and MSR Hubba NX with poles supporting each corner.

By comparison, a Tarptent Notch uses 4 stakes, trekking poles or separate poles, stays dry inside during rainy set up/take down in under 2 minutes.

We’re talking conventional sil/poly nylon tents in this regard, not DCF. However, the BA tents with DCF fly are very light, durability yet to be tested.

Leek
    Spectator

@leek

All very good points! Did not consider the semi-freestanding aspect and more complicated pole design of the new Quarter Dome. Have always liked more vertical sides, especially at the head end, but have not really tried the more “tent-like” shape of Six Moons.

Am now leaning back towards BA, but just to make sure will do a test run at REI to check out how it feels to lie in each. And maybe buy a good, used BA to make up the price difference.

Thanks all for your thoughtful input.

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

<h3 class=”header product-information-title h2″ data-ui=”product-information-title”>BTW How many stakes required for BA HV UL 1 Tent??  Thanks!!</h3>

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I use 10 6.5″ UL Ti stakes from Lawson 2.50 oz

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

Thank-you!

.d

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools