Topic

2019 PCT NOBO Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2019 PCT NOBO Gear List

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

I think I’m 95% done with planning for this year’s hike. I’m pretty confident in all this gear and have accepted the limitations of my budget and experience in getting the lighter big-ticket items, but I’d love to get a few other eyes on it to see if I can do something differently? Hoping to crack the 10lb mark.
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”><strong class=”s90z9tc-14 juBaow”>Location/temp range/specific trip description: PCT Nobo, leaving April 13, hoping to finish in 4.5 months or less</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”><strong class=”s90z9tc-14 juBaow”>Goal base weight: Under 10lbs</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”><strong class=”s90z9tc-14 juBaow”>Budget: $200</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”><strong class=”s90z9tc-14 juBaow”>Non-negotiable Items: Quilt, Pad (need wide inflatable, at least), tarp/bivy</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”><strong class=”s90z9tc-14 juBaow”>Additional Information:</p>

<li class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”>Warm sleeper
      <li class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”>I’m stuck between pack options: Have a Waymark Gear Thru 40 (24.1oz, frameless w/ padded hip belt) and the Granite Gear Crown60 (34oz). Since my base weight is on the upper limit of frameless, coupled with heavier food and water carries, I’m leaning towards the Crown for continued comfort.

• LighterPack currently shows 9.8lbs, but that’s without the battery pack weights and body glide/leukotape weights.

<p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”><strong class=”s90z9tc-14 juBaow”>Lighterpack Link: https://lighterpack.com/r/edtle2</p>

Hoping to cut down or cut into the extra small items. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

Forgot that I can’t edit the first post….so here’s this again:

I think I’m 95% done with planning for this year’s hike. I’m pretty confident in all this gear and have accepted the limitations of my budget and experience in getting the lighter big-ticket items, but I’d love to get a few other eyes on it to see if I can do something differently? Hoping to crack the 10lb mark.

Location/temp range/specific trip description: PCT Nobo, leaving April 13, hoping to finish in 4.5 months or less
    Goal base weight: Under 10lbs
    Budget: $200
    Non-negotiable Items: Quilt, Pad (need wide inflatable, at least)
    Additional Information:

I’m stuck between pack options: Have a Waymark Gear Thru 40 (24.1oz, frameless w/ padded hip belt) and the Granite Gear Crown60 (34oz). Since my base weight is on the upper limit of frameless, coupled with heavier food and water carries, I’m leaning towards the Crown for continued comfort.

LighterPack currently shows 9.8lbs, but that’s without the battery pack weights and body glide/leukotape weights.

Lighterpack Link: https://lighterpack.com/r/edtle2

Hoping to cut down or cut into the extra small items. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

At 34 ounces I’m assuming you took out the framesheet and took off the brain? I never use either with the 60 and never the framesheet with the 38. On the other hand it would seem that if the Waymark pack volume can hold your gear, you should be OK with what you plan to carry if you use the ccf pad as a thin framesheet and use the hipbelt. I think my highest weight with a frameless pack has been about 25 pounds at the start with no problem.

Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

This is the Crown 1, so no lid, but framesheet is still in there. Really think I just need to load up the pack to 25lbs or so and walk around for a day to see what happens. Problem is that my food weight is always high. Usually 2.5lbs per day.

Thanks for the comment.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I’d go with a 10 degree or less quilt.

I’d take the Crown60.

I’d ditch the 6×9 flat tarp and at the very least use a tarp tent.

You’ll ditch the Platy sooner rather than later.

You might be too cold in the Sierras.  Definitely bring a base-layer bottom.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m haven’t hiked with either of those packs, but I see 24 versus 34 ounces and my thought is:

get a 2.4 to 3-ounce silnylon daypack and wear it backwards, on your chest for the 1-3 days after each resupply. 20 pounds on my back and 10 pounds on my front is much easier to carry than 30 pounds on my back. I don’t have to lean nearly as far forward and lots of items are super-easy to access from the daypack when it’s worn on your chest.

I happened on this approach while leading backpacking trips and having to carry a client’s pack in addition to my own. Not fun with two backpacks, but with a friend on a 40-mile GCNP hike, carrying two day packs was very doable and in several ways better than one larger pack.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

You have several items with no weight entered.  My first suggestion would be to fill in those blanks.  The tiny little things we dismiss can really add up.  I suspect you have another 1.5 lbs or so that have not been accounted for.  That might affect your other decisions.

Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

Hey, thanks everyone.

Matt, the weights were full when I originally posted this…I was fiddling around with the list last night and didn’t expect anyone else to comment on it! Filled them back in.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Sam, why ditch the tarp? And you’re referring to my platy bladders, why do you think they’ll be ditched? They’re for carrying water reserves…just curious. I’ll be bringing the base bottoms for the Sierra for sure. I’m a real warm person, so I’m confident in my 20*. Stayed cozy on the Long Trail last October down into the 10s with layers on.</p>
    Dave, that’s an interesting approach. Would certainly look goofy but it makes sense. I think I’m leaning towards the Crown60 at this point.

Thanks again for the input.

Tim H
    BPL Member

@yucaipatim1

Hi Elliott- I’m thinking you are about 3 weeks into your hike now.  Wondering how your gear is working out so far… made any changes from your final list?  Thx, Tim

Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

@yucaipatim1 Hey Tim! Hike is going great so far, thanks for asking. Here’s what changed:

• I went with the Granite Gear 60L pack, but took the hipbelt pocket from the Waymark 40L along for the ride. Don’t regret it.
    • Swapped the tarp and bivy (got an EE recon) for my Lunar Solo I had on backup. The bivy felt like a coffin and the tarp was useless given my limited experience and wants for a shelter
    • Swapped the cap thermal top for a cap lightweight top, and the cap thermal bottoms for REI’s silk leggings. Pleased with both In terms of warmth and weight.
    • Probably going to get a new pillow…the Nemo Fillo is a little short for me as a side sleeper.
    • Didn’t start with gaiters, but the sand and rocks ate through my socks and feet, so I picked up a pair 100 miles in and they’ve been useful.
    • Switched the 10000mah battery and separate charger to the Ravpower 6700mah 2-in-1.
    • The Brightside Gear scent proof bag has unfortunately failed, and I picked up a ScentLok stuff sack.
    Tim H
    BPL Member

@yucaipatim1

Thanks for the update.  Enjoy your hike.  If you need any assistance in the Cabazon to Wrightwood region don’t hesitate to hit me up.  Tim

Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

Sounds good, your offer is much appreciated! A day out of Big Bear, having a blast. Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools