Topic

Ultra Light Backpacking Excel Sheet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Ultra Light Backpacking Excel Sheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    David Williams

@davepongw

I have created an ultra light packing tool in excel. It gives you a way to create your own master list for food, clothing, and equipment with weights and weight ratios. It will also let you know if you are meeting your calorie, protein, carb needs, and pack weight requirements. It will generate custom packing reports for each person and a daily menu sheet as well.
    This started small, but soon became a very large project. But it is a very useful tool for planning your trips.
    Email me if you want a copy. [email protected]

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

email sent!

thanks!

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

Me too!

Thanks

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Me three :)

Cheers

Terry Kelly

@tkelly255

Locale: Southern Maryland

Email sent!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

This sounds like SPAM. This is his first post on the forums.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I did request the spreadsheet myself.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I got it off a different forum yesterday. Looks like a nice spreadsheet, I just need to play with it more to figure it all out.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

It doesn't work on Office 2008 for the Mac – oh well.

Joe, regarding the spam possibility, he sent it along with an interesting "if you find it useful, feel free to donate" comment, but otherwise I don't think it is intended as spam.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

David asked me if BPL would like to distribute this spreadsheet and I suggested to him the best means of getting it into people's hands was via the forums.

David Williams

@davepongw

I have seen a tremendous response on this spreadsheet.
    I think I may post a link to the 2003 and 2007 file formats because some people can't open a 2007 file. However, Microsoft has a free download/plug-in, that will let you view 2007 files.
    Please give me your feedback on the file and I will start working on some improvements for this one.
    Also, let me know if it needs any clarifying.
    I hope you find it useful, my brother in law searched relentlessly for this kind of a tool and so I spent the time programming it.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I remember a while ago BPL had a contest for backpacking spreadsheets. I downloaded a few but never really got into them. I probably should have. I e-mailed him for a copy but just wondering what peoples initial thoughts are. Too complicated (that's what I found with alot of the ones on BPL)? Not enough info? Just curious…

David Williams

@davepongw

I just found a bug. When you have less than five people on the list, it generates an error on the blank people's packing list.
    I will fix this, but for now, just put in a dummy name and it will run fine. More updates to come……

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

A comprehensive one that's been around for a while is Jim Wood's spreadsheet at http://www.jwbasecamp.com

David Williams

@davepongw

Here are some links to the spreadsheets that you can download as I don't have the time to send out emails all day. I am happy that there is a great response.
    Microsoft 2007 File
    https://sites.google.com/site/lightbackpacking/ultra-light-packing-tool/UltraLightPacking.xlsm?attredirects=0

Microsoft 97-2003 File:
    https://sites.google.com/site/lightbackpacking/ultra-light-packing-tool/UltraLightPacking.xls?attredirects=0

There are a few small fixes that I have made if I sent you an email of an old copy.

Let me know of any questions or feedback you may have.

Thanks,

Dave

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools