Topic

Down inner boost?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down inner boost?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

So I just purchased a Montbell down inner parka and pants. Very nice stuff but what I really wanna know is how much of a temp rating these will boost my sleeping system. I know it's subject but the experiences of those who do use these would be much appreciated.

For reference I'm gonna be using these 3 seasons in the Sierra's and wanna know how light of a quilt I could get by with.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Hi Roy,

I've read a number of responses to this question before.

The consensus seems to be anywhere from 7-15 degrees, with most people suggesting around 10 degrees. A simple way to get an estimate is to compare the fill weight of the summerlite and the ultralite (both from WM with same 'cut'), and then check how much extra fill weight you get from these garments (about 2oz each I think). The summerlite and ultralite are rated 10 degrees different, and the fill weight difference is around 7oz I think. So I think you might be pushing it to get an extra 15 degrees from that setup, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could squeeze 10 out of it.

HTH, Ashley

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ashley,

I concur with your analysis. In a similar vein, comparing the the regular size MB SS #2 and #3 there is a 4 oz difference in 800 fill for a 10F difference in temperature ratings. I have lab tested the insulation value of the MB #2. It tested, with the EN13537 methodology, the same temp as MB's rating.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

There is probably a technical measurement, but I think it's more variable and subjective than that.

For example, last week it was pretty cold during the night, pushing the lower limits of my quilt. In addition to that, there were gaps between my pad and my quilt letting cold air in when I lay on my side. I draped my down sweater over my butt and upper legs and felt nice and toasty again.

So while there may be a technical measurement, there's also the way you use it.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Hey just wanted to say thanks for the info … got to test it out this past weekend and think you guys were right on the money. Paired with the Golite ultra I was TOASTY down in the mid-twenties. You guys ROCK!

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Glad it worked out. Thanks for reporting back. =-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools