Topic

2016 Sierra Conditions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Word on the streets is that the Sierra’s snowpack is at 96% of the average at this time, which is certainly more than the past few years.

For those of you with a bit of experience in the area, is it too early to call the range of the bug season?

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Bug season will end on August 17th.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

And when does bug season start?

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

We’re actually down to 82% of normal for the Northern Sierra, 76% of normal for the Central Sierra and 59% of normal for the Southern Sierra due to the warm weather we’ve been experiencing.  Here’s the data: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

Bug season depends on a lot of factors, including elevation, topography, proximity to water sources, North facing areas vs. South facing, etc.  My forecast: It will likely be buggy earlier in the summer and then less buggy later in the summer. Also, make sure not to swat any mosquitos until the official start of bug season.

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Also, make sure not to swat any mosquitos until the official start of bug season.

Do you think the warden will be looking for electric zappers?

By the way, a little more meat to the question…

Planning to do the Big SEKI Loop starting July 18 (ish). From my understanding, this has been a wetter winter than previous years. I want to know whether I can get away with not bringing any of my netting gear (shelter and headnet).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

No. Geeeze, a headnet weighs about 1/3 of an ounce. But bring the tent net too.

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

You could totally “get away” with it and either just put up with the mosquitos or seek out campsites away from water and at higher elevations, but you might have some buggy moments.  It’s not like we’re talking about critical core temperature insulation though.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never needed or used a headnet in the Sierras.  But the mosquitos don’t bother me that much while I’m hiking and I try not to take breaks in buggy spots. I wear a long shirt and pants though and sleep in an enclosed shelter when the bugs are bad.

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Good feedback…

I might find a good way to use my S2S bug net (which I use with my Gatewood) as a headnet by rolling up the sides and adding some cord to pull it tight to the body. This would save me a good 1 oz (since my headnet is a bit on the heavy side).

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Check here: HST’s 2016 Mosquito Reports. Obviously no reports yet, but once the hiking season starts I’m sure there will be many reports relevant to your trip.

I’m planning for a buggy year and bet July 18th will be prime time for those bstards. If I could, I’d bring a flame thrower. Since the NPS looks down on those, I’m bringing a head net, long sleeves & pants, DEET, and an enclosed shelter.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I wear a head net, wind shirt, and wind pants along with pemetherin treated gloves. Then i can ignore them.

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Outstanding! Thanks for the link, Alex!

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Planning to do the Big SEKI Loop starting July 18 (ish). From my understanding, this has been a wetter winter than previous years. I want to know whether I can get away with not bringing any of my netting gear (shelter and headnet).”

You will almost certainly be going through areas where you will wish you had at least netting on your shelter at that time of year. The head net is not that big a deal, at least for me, but a good night’s sleep is solid gold. If it were me, I’d take both, because the weight penalty is minimal considering the downside.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Thanks for this link

I’ve bookmarked it  :)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Generally in a normal snow year in the Sierra the worst of mosquito season is over by the 2nd week of August. But…  if we have a summer with more than normal rain that could extend the season and/or bring additional hatches though out the entire summer. So, basically, it is hard to plan around other than to plan your trip for mid to late August or September and camp in breezy areas above tree line and away from standing water like wet meadows and lakes with marsh areas.

Billy

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Would you all say that a nice set of pants is a must?

I’ve never hiked with pants in my life, even in 20 degrees under snow. I can handle the cold, but I hate the very existence of mosquitos.

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

Making the switch to pants has been a game changer for me, with the added leg protection against mosquitos and, more importantly for my very light skin, the sun.   It means I have to bring less (or no) deet, much less sunscreen, and don’t get as many scratches/cuts on my legs.  I actually feel cooler under a very light pair of pants than in the direct sun, but I’m a snowman in complexion.

If you really hate mosquitos I would wear pants for that trip mid-July this year.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Adding to this thread for future readers for this summer:

Went to the North Fork Big Pine and Long Lake areas June 3-5th. A couple of mosquitos around–enough to need DEET or long sleeves in camp. Snow melt runoff is heavy, temps starting to warm–we were catching the beginning of mosquito season.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Any more updates? I’m doing the HST in 2 weeks. I found this link, but some of it is already outdated: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm

Still a lot of snow? Crampons/ice axes required? River crossings sketchy? Bugs bad yet?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bri, you might want to check in with the Sierra Nevada Current Conditions Facebook Group. My impression from there (and from the FB JMT Group) is that the trails still have a little snow but people are now going through in trail runners with little difficulty.

Are you staying on trail? If so, it sounds like you won’t even need microspikes in two weeks.

You could also poke around highsierratopix.com – lots of condition reports there as well.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Bri, there should be very little snow in 2 weeks unless you are crossing a very high pass, which traction devices would only be necessary if its an exceptionally steep pass that is known to be difficult late into the season. This is what it looked like from a 12,400 foot pass (italy pass) facing looking west, picture taken about a week ago:

I talked to a lot of through hikers in vermillion and many of them had crampons/ice axes but many said they barely even used them and the general consensus is that they were no longer needed.

Mosquitoes are bad right now and will still be bad in 2 weeks. Creeks are flowing well at mid elevations but not at crazy flow.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Thanks for the help, guys! I’ll check out the Facebook group and the link. I’m either going to wear my Altra Superiors or my Lone Peak Neoshells. I was leaning toward the latter because it looked like there was still a lot of snow, but maybe it’ll be better in 2 weeks. The only peaks we plan to bag are Russell and Whitney, possibly another 14er that my brother is interested in (can’t remember the name). I’m thinking I’ll leave behind the traction devices but definitely bring the bug headnet!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Bri, I would bring the superiors. There is no possible way you can keep your feet dry in these kinds of conditions. The wet snow will get into your shoes, you will end up stepping into slush with water running above your ankles, and there will be endless snowmelt streams to walk through. I used the superiors on this last 6 day trip and they drain exceptionally well. My shoes were wet 20% of the trip, slightly damp 70% of the trip, and dry 10% of the trip. With waterproof shoes my feet would have been super soggy wet and hot 90% of the trip. Your feet may get a little chilly occasionally but you will be roasting with the solar radiation bouncing off the snow and cooking you.

Rock and log hopping across streams to keep your feet dry instead of just crossing and getting your shoes wet is one of the most dangerous things you can do. It only takes one slip to hurt yourself badly or knock yourself unconscious with your head underwater, I highly recommend non waterproof shoes that will drain water.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have water crossing shoes for rivers, but I was thinking the Neoshells with gaiters because of the snow. Even with water crossing shoes you think the Superiors are better?

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Hi Bri, please report back when you have completed your trip, as I will be following you in early August (leaving the 8th).  I did this hike is 2011, the last time we really got rain in Cali.  It was later in the year, but my experience was that the only snow we hiked through was over Kaweah Gap.  It was raining and we were hiking in the snow, until we got over the top, then sunshine and warmth.  I did that trip in my VFF no problem.  Even going over trail crest(name?) at Whtiney the snow was not bad, as it is so exposed.  Hiking over to Whitney was another thing, but so many people when before us that it was no big deal.  I think we has snow up to our knees at least, but in a wide, tramped down path.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Matt and anyone else interested:

Just got back. Here’s a quick trip report. I’ll have a more detailed trip report when I get all-you-can-eat sushi in my belly. And maybe some sleep.

It was HOT!!! Zero rain, minimal snow patches, and only a small (but welcomed) amount of cool wind  Although we had tree coverage most of the trip, I had to soak my shirt, sun gloves, buff, and hat in every cold water crossing we could find; they all dried within 15 minutes of hiking. I am so happy I brought my OR Echo longsleeve hoody, Echo buff, and OR sun gloves. The only sunburn I got was on my wrist where my sleeve must have accidentally bunched up when I was hiking up Whitney. I strongly recommend sunscreen and bug spray. The bugs were awful everywhere except on Whitney. If you camp at Guitar Lake, avoid going until late in the day; there is no shade and it was 80°+ at 6pm according to my thermometer. If you camp after you summit Whitney, there is no shade and it’s incredibly busy (and stinky!) at Trail Camp. We stayed at Outpost, which was much more shaded but still smelled like pee. As cold of a sleeper as I am, I wish I hadn’t brought my 0° Cuben quilt, because even in the middle of the night we were warm.

We only saw one small snow patch at Kaweah Gap (not sketchy or difficult to cross at all), and one right before the top of Whitney (also very easy to cross, and you can actually avoid it by walking the boulder section below it).

River crossings were cake. I got my feet wet three times on accident, but it was so hot the shoes dries very quickly each time. I only used my creek walking shoes twice (once somewhere near the Kaweah Basin and once after Kern Hot Springs), but my hiking partners hopped rocks with minimal issues during those passes. I guess I just wanted the opportunity to soak my feet in cold water! :)

Let me know if you want any more info! Hopefully you’ll get nice weather in August!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools