Topic

feedback on Evans Ti/CF potty trowel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear feedback on Evans Ti/CF potty trowel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Our axes have been through a season of use with one faint scratch on the spike end of the handle. One has been used for control whilst glissading, sort of self arrest without the urgency. Both have had a lot of use for support and stability. I have bunged up the bottom of the tube with half a plastic wine cork to stop the tube filling with snow and added a thin cord leash which I attach to my chest, just so the axe does not go sliding off down the mountain.
    I decide each trip whether to take our 1 pound steel ice axes or the ultra light ones. I think the steel ones have had one days use. So for our use the Ti/CF ones are excellent.
    I did read a report about a CF shaft breakage in Britain of a Helix shaft. The spike was plunged into snow when a slip occurred, as an act of self belay. It only went in about 9" before it hit rock. The shaft broke 6" above the spike. No injuries reported.
    The user said he may have scratched the CF before the break by tapping the shaft against his crampons to dislodge balled up snow.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Derek, thanks for the feedback. I actually had the new pieces made a few weeks ago for the next version but forgot to post pictures…too many projects. I'll post them in the original thread to keep everything together.
    Good to know about the snow building up…you'll be happy with the new version then. :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools