Topic

Event Socks!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Event Socks!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I have been meaning to ask this question for too long now. Where or where are the event socks? Those rocky gortex have been the only kids on the block for some time now. Do they exist? If not, why not. If so where can i find em?
    Thanks
    Sean

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Locale: ADKs

seems like abrasion would kill the DWR in minutes

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not answering the questions, but I wonder just how effective and durable are those Goretex socks?

David Ure

@familyguy

Very durable Ben. But horrible to wear.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Because?

David Ure

@familyguy

Generally thick to increase durability – more so than a wool sock (in my opinion). In effect, you end up making your footwear 'smaller.' They don't breath at all. If you think a gortex shoe suffers in breathability, you might as well put garbage bags over your feet inside your shoe instead of wearing gortex socks. As your foot sweats it moves and brings the pleasure of blisters.

Realistically, however, I do find them beneficial in cold conditions as an extra barrier with lightweight hikers.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I see. Thanks.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

There are some by a company called trekmates that arent nearly as uncomfortable but only available in the UK. It just seems to reason that a membrane with the breathability of event would excel in a sock. Mind you it would not be bonded to a high denier nylon but could be bonded to something more comfortable like the trekmates.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"But horrible to wear."

I think this might vary based on what else you're wearing. Bare skin inside a goretex sock? I wouldn't care for that.
    Thin liner sock only? I've done that, and agree it's not the most comfortable.

But if you're wearing a wool sock in colder weather — and yes, size the socks accordingly — I don't find them uncomfortable.

As far as breathability, as a review at one point on this site said, I think this varies based on how breathable your shoes are. I don't think they're as bad as just wearing plastic bags or any sort of Vapor Barrier.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Brian said: "But if you're wearing a wool sock in colder weather — and yes, size the socks accordingly — I don't find them uncomfortable."

Me neither. Last week I had to hike out of a canyon after a "possibility of snow" dumped four to five inches of heavy, wet snow on me. The GTX socks inside trail runners and over wool socks combined with knee-high gaiters made the hike rather pleasant. I was comfortable enough that I wasn't even thinking about my feet.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've just got back today from a 5 day trip in very wet and cold conditions. The ground was either saturated or covered in fresh wet snow. I was wearing the Rocky's over Smartwool Adrenaline socks inside a pair of Inov8 Roclite 295's.
    I only removed the Rocky's to sleep, and had the same pair of socks on for the 5 days. My socks stayed dry for the whole time, and my feet stayed very comfortable.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Event oversocks don't exist?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools