Topic

Marking silnylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Marking silnylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I've been trying to figure out how to work with silnylon. My big problem is how to draw a line to use as a guide. The only thing I can get to work is a sharpie. Then I need to use alcohol to remove it. Will this damage the fabric? Is there a better way?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Fine point waterproof marker pen (or sharpie) works well. I put the marks in the seam area so they aren't visible later.
    Works for me.

Cheers

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

I use the edge of a "used up" piece of soap.

The edge makes a nice line and wipes off if necessary.

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon

I use regular blackboard chalk for most of my sewing, including silnylon. I find that it works better than the hard chalk that is made specifically for sewing. If you want a very thin line it can be shaved to a point. For very light colored fabric such as Cuben fiber I use a permanent marker.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

If I'm not concerned about the mark showing up, the sharpie is fine. But I usually use a bit of soap whittled to an edge. Another option that works well for me is a china marker. Think they're also known as grease pencils; they don't bleed though.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

I second the silver grease pencil. Works great on darker colors !!

Kevin

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i use chalk. Stays on until i want to wash it off. I have also used fine tip sharpies and they work great, but don't wash off. I like the chalk as i can leave no trace of my markings.

-Tim

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Personally, I use a silver sharpie, it works on pretty much everything. If your marks are in your hem, no one will know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools