Topic

Weights of 40D and 70D silnylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Weights of 40D and 70D silnylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

What are the weights of 40D and 70D silnylon ??

Thanks

Matthew Bishop
    BPL Member

@mattsbishop

Locale: Iowa

I don't know about 40D silnylon (typo?) but 30D ripstop is usually called "1.3oz" and according to Rockywoods is 2.1-2.3oz/yd2.

70D ripstop is usually called "1.9oz" but I don't know how much it weighs with the coating. Only place I've even seen it for sale is Seattle Fabrics. The stuff I have is coated on one side (versus permeated with silicone like the 30D stuff), so it may be around 3 ounces per square yard.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Not exactly sure about the 40D, but I want to build an UL tent, but it is almost an exact duplicate of one on the market.

The description says 70D floor and 40D fly and walls.

Just trying to figure out if its really worth it and how much weight I will save.

Matthew Bishop
    BPL Member

@mattsbishop

Locale: Iowa

I see. I was kind of hoping for a source for 40D stuff. My impression is there is -a lot- of fabric the larger manufacturers have custom made that we MYOGers simply cannot buy.

I'd like to make a tent myself at some point, but will start with a bivy since a full-blown tent is quite daunting. Good luck, whichever you choose.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

30D is 1.1 oz/yd2 before coating and 1.3 to 1.4 after coating. So the 1.4 oz may have been the distributer just being carefully honest about the weight.

70D is about 1.9 oz before coating and 2.2 or 2.3 after coating. Final weights are measured on my digital scale. The weights vary between production runs. I once got some 1.9 from Seattle that weighed 1.9 coated. I have no idea what the uncoated weight was. Probably 1.6.

What I want to see is a Spectra ripstop with 20D polyester (or smaller)silicone impregnated. Weight would be about 1.1 after coating.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Thru hiker has SpinnTex EXP 0.8 oz Silicone Impregnated Ripstop

Weighs just under 1 oz per yd, cost $18 ouch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools