Topic

Exped Downmat inflation issues

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Downmat inflation issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

I recently picked up an Exped Downmat 7 short at the incredible REI winter sale. I am having issues with it and am wondering if someone here can help me.

I practiced a number of times before going out backpacking on how to inflate the mattress using the pump sack, and became fairly proficient at it.

The issue I had in the field was, I could not seem to get the inflation valves to secure properly and inevitably one would loosen on it's own during the night and my mat would deflate. I had a couple of very frustrating, cold and uncomfortable nights. I tried to tighten the valves down the best I could by pressing down and turning in a clockwise direction. Am I missing something basic here on how to use these mats? Any shared experience is appreciated. Thanks.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

Try just turning clockwise without pressing down. I've never had to press down with mine, and I can always feel when they are tight and closed.

Otherwise, I'd say you have defective valves. All of my climbing and hiking partners have 7s and 9s and no one has had an issue with the valves like this. Fortunately, REI is about the easiest place in the world to exchange or return. Good luck.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Sounds like you might have gotten a lemon, REI will make it right though. It's possible the o-ring or whatever in the valve wasn't set right or has a flaw.

Give them a chance to make it right, Exped normally has excellent quality.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Andrew,
    I purchased my DM7 short about 2 years ago. The first night I took it out, I had the same issues. I would inflate the pad, lie on it and at some point in the middle of the night it would open and then deflate. It happened so many times over the 2 night period that I started to just inflate it by mouth so I could do it from the warmth of my sleeping bag. What a PITA.
    I exchanged it after the trip and told the person the valves were defective and that they would open during the night. I actually had the same issue with the next one until my friend realized I wasn't closing the valves properly. While they tighten clockwise, you should feel it "lock" when it gets to the correct position. This "indent/bump/notch" is what will stop it from loosening on it's own.
    Soooo, while it very well may be a defective valve, try to turn it all the way until you feel it lock. Also, I don't press down during this exercise. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Andrew King

@drewboy

Wow, thanks for the timely and useful feedback folks. I'll mess with the valve knob a little more tonight to see if I can get the thing to click, and then it's back to REI if no joy.

Andrew King

@drewboy

OK, I messed with it tonight and lo and behold, I was able to turn the valve and get it to lock. I had to turn it a lot harder than I would have expected before I finally felt it engage. I wish I'd figured that out before my last trip! Thanks again for the help.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"Am I missing something basic here on how to use these mats? Any shared experience is appreciated. Thanks."

its a sign… stay off the ground!
    hehe
    glad you figgered it out Andy. Buckskin must have been cold!
    see you soon

Andrew King

@drewboy

I hear you dude. While I was huddling on the ground trying to stay warm and comfortable on my Sitlight pad and flattened Downmat I was thinking about my hanging rig and how much I missed it. There were a few trees at the Buckskin Gulch/Paria confluence that might have served me, but it's pretty sparse. For sure it's back off the ground for the Sedona West Fork trip this weekend.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Nice! Glad that worked out for you. I remember cursing all night when that happened to me.

Don't give up the ground too quickly! The first time I took out my DM7 (after I figured out the valves) I fell in love with it. Enjoy.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

All this has been helpful to me, as I've had the same problem with the valves (almost always, it seems, on cold, rainy nights). I think careful "locking" may be the answer.

Wendy Blake

@wildpaint

sounds like you're suggesting hammock camping. if so, do you use a pad? have slept quite comfortably in my hennessey with a thermarest, but am thinking about changing out to a exped downmat for added warmth. any suggestions?

~wild

Wendy Blake

@wildpaint

just saw mike's winter hammock set-up. cool.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of an Downmat valve?

I'm considering a Downmat and want to know what I am up against.

Thanks.

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

The new DownMats and SynMats don't have a traditional valve anymore, it is more of a plug and the issue described in this thread won't apply. I have the new SynMat and have not had any problems.

From the exped web site…

Flat valve technology eliminates traditional valve malfunction issues (patent pending)

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Sadly for my budget, this just may be enough to convince me to buy a new one. Thanks for posting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools