Topic

Cuben Fiber USES?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Cuben Fiber USES?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Before I drop $50 on 3 yards of Cuben Fiber (packing and shipping bring it up to this cost), how versitile is this stuff? I was originall thinking that I would use part of it for a water bag for a filter…but something tells me it might be better used for something larger, like a pack cover…or a tarp…or a ground cloth??? At .2 oz a yard it is practically non-existent weight-wise, but what kind of durability/functionality can I expect from it. If it is durable enough for a ground cloth…that would be my first choice. I currently carry a piece of mylar that lasts about 6 to 10 nights of use before becoming pretty shot. Would this Cuben fiber last indefinitley? I would consider it for a poncho, but the cheap breathable drop stoppers seem like weight well spent if you are hiking…seeing as I don’t think this fabric would be breathable. Hmmmm…the cheap side of me says the weight savings may not be worth the $$$.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Bill Fornshell used this in his poncho tarp, pack, water filter modifacation, VB socks, sleeping bag shell ect. I beleive he is planning on using this gear for an AT thru hike, so it has go to be fairly durable

More valuble info will come from Bill himself, he is the master of all things cuben :-)

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

There is a lot on how people have used it in other threads at this site. It is less durable than silnylon and my measured weight is 13g/sqyd, or about .46oz/sqyd. The inexpensive silnylon (2.25/yard – 65″ width) from oware is about 40g/sqyd.

Craig Shelley

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I would not use my Cuben material for a ground cloth. But, I don’t have any idea how it might hold up as a ground cloth. Time will tell how durable Cuben turns out to be.

I use a Hammock so I really don’t need a ground cloth. If I decided to sleep in a shelter I would be very careful.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Thanks all. And yes…should have mentioned that the idea originally came from Bill…is it any wonder??? I got excited about making a water filter…but rarley need one except maybe when out with a group. Then got to thinking that a pack cover would be good…but at a weight savings of only 1.5 ounces…it hardly seems worth the extra cost. I admire the ingenuity at work with finding the fabric and incorporating it. In the end, I don’t think the $50 is warranted in my gear situation. Hopefully Bill will give us a full debreifing on the pros and cons of this hyperlight and potentially strong fabric upon his return.

Brian Killen

@firstreef

I am very familiar with this material. It was originally designed for racing sailboats looking for a durable, very very light sail cloth to replace Dacron or Mylar sails. Cuban Fiber is very durable but does not like to be folded and creased; it is always (like most sail material) best to role the cloth when traveling.

If you really want to use this type of thing for designing your own gear I would not buy new; you can do a search for used sails or used racing sails ( I think pineapple sails is a good one to look for.) You will certainly find lots of good deals on Mylar and Cuban fiber (Mylar is good too check it out) I bet you can get a sail for a few hundred bucks and will be a few hundred Sq Ft

Jimmy M. Harris

@jimh

Has anyone had any success finding a used sail? I’m e-mailing sail dealers to no avail. Pineapple Sails (at least the person I dealt with) was no help.

Patrick Baker

@wildman

There are so many different weights and types of Cuben Fiber that finding the exact material you want may be difficult.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I checked used sails made from Cuben but could not really identify any. Sails are sewn or glued also in ways that may not lend them to cutting them up for backpacking gear.

I would suggest trying to get some product number CTO.3K.08 and try it. This is about 0.44 oz a square yard. One of the problems trying to order less than what Cuben calls a Full Panel ( about 9 yards+) is they will not cut a panel. You may get lucky (not likey) and call them at just the right time when they have what they calls “shorts” I think. I lot of folks are after the shorts.

I think their stock moves really fast. When I want more I call or email and ask to get on the list for the next production run of which ever product I want. My total yardage ordered over the last couple of years is about 70 yards. My normal order is 2 or 3 panels at a time so if they have it I can get it quick.

Ryan was onced asked if he would sell a yard at a time and his reply was he thought it might be possible but he would have to charge “members” about $19 or $20 a yard. Maybe if enough people asked again he might list it for sale in the “Gear Shop”

Jimmy M. Harris

@jimh

I can buy rip-stop for about $3.75/yd shipped. I simply cannot justify the cost. Even the “shorts” at a 10% discount is too much.

BTW, Quest Outfitters carries Cuben. Scroll to the bottom of the link below;

http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#CUBEN%20FIBER

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools