Topic

cooking list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists cooking list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

I am going on a cycling / camping trip and looking to lighten up. I plan on 3 meals total. lunch bagel sandwich , oatmeal and eggs for breakfast and spaghetti for supper.I am only packing for two people. We are have the following kitchen set so far.

colman pan set inlcudes
    1- large deep pan
    1-med sauce pan
    1-sm bowl
    1-med bowl
    2 -lids
    2 plastic ikea plates
    2-plastic bowls
    2 sporks.
    1-alcohol stove
    1-wind screen
    all in a stuff sack

do I need all this?cook set with stove

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

> do I need all this?

No! Take 1 pot, make a lid out of an aluminum foil oven liner, 1 bowl, both spoons and the stove. Mucho saved weight.

Are you making hot drinks? If so I like the nalgene soft sided canteens. Fairly light weight and the lid helps keep things warm, plus they do double duty as a water bottle.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Blimey! Marketing overkill imho! OK, for car camping, but not for UL walking.

I would take:
    1 titanum or aluminium pot
    1 stove and windshield
    2 plastic bowls (I like the GSI ones, review on this web site)
    2 Lexan spoons (again, mine are GSI, but yours look OK)

If you are big into drinks, I would also take 2 LIGHT plastic cups. I like the GSI ones (review on web site too).

Cheers

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Hi Matt,

Dump the steel of any sort and go for alumimium or titanium.

Aluminium is lighter than titanium, but it's softer. Ti is a very hard metal, so relatively little is used in the manufacture of cook pots, so the weights of Al and Ti cook pots are generally about the same. Ti also stands up much better to the knocks and bumps of trail life.

Most people on this site use only one pot for their cooking requirements. You really don't need the extra pots and pans. You may need to adapt your menu plans a little to be able to successfully turn out a hot meal for two out of one pot – but it's easy to do. There's plenty of info in the Food, Hydration and Cooking forum about simplifying (and lightening) your cooking.

Bob dylan

@ineedenergy

I think this list sounds great

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Have you test fired your stove with your cookware? Muy important! It looks as though the little pot would be quite ineffective with your "cat" stove. Always test your myog stoves with the pots you plan on using. In the woods surprises usually suck. Other than that for 2 people it is more than adequate. You could probably get by with just two pots though, one for frying, one for boiling.

How come the only time I seem to get extra day's off from work the weather is fit for man nor beast? :(

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools