Topic

Travel Light-Eat Heavy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Travel Light-Eat Heavy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I followed Sarah's book's tips for pasta dehydration (p. 65) and successfully dried a healthy product called 'Barilla Plus' pasta.
    Barilla Plus

http://www.barillaus.com/home/Pages/Barilla_Plus_Shapes.aspx

It is a multi-grain pasta. Rich in protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids.

Using Sarah's Ramen recipes for guidance, I used the rehydrated Barilla Plus angel hair and also the Penne

Great with extra virgin olive oil

and dried tomatoes and/or black beans

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

Does anyone know if Bill still comes to the BPL site? His profile showed no activity for awhile in the forums.

I'd love to get my hands on that book.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hmmmm, I am pretty sure I have 2 copies. Do I see an auction opportunity?

JUST KIDDING

First contact can have the extra for original purchase price (assuming I can determine that) plus mailing cost.

That'll help with the cost of Sarah's book, not that it is prohibitive.

Ya just can't have too many backcountry cookbooks!

Speaking of, here's a plug for an author I have no business assn with other than as a happy customer. His cooking doesn't lend itself well to UL cooking methods but whenever I roll out one of his recipes to a group I invariably get multiple "where'd you learn that?" queries.

Cliff Jacobson … pull down the Products menu, select "Books", third book from the bottom.

Also, his Expedition Canoeing book is a tour de force … and includes info from many many folks who spend all their summers canoeing near or north of the tree line. Imagine a long distance hiking book by RJ that also included opinions and techniques from a dozen Andy's, Francis's and Erin's!

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

I try to PM, but when I click on your name, I get the "Compass Broke" page (server error). Can you PM me?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I am getting the same. I was able to PM someone else earlier this week and he was able to get back to me.

The book has your name on it. Try again later tonight and let me know if it fails again. If so, I'll give you an email addr.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

I will try tonight.

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

While rice is an easy to prepare and use starch, I have found it basically to be empty calories. Yes it is high in carbohydrates, however it is simple carbohydrates.

Pasta on the other hand are typically complex (stick with you) carbohydrates. The Barilla Plus pasta (vitamin and protein enhanced) along with Couscous – IMHO and talking with others – is better for you on the trail because of its staying power.

Rice dishes tend to fill me up quickly – but after a few hours – I am hungry again. While pasta/couscous dishes keep me filled up the entire evening until the next morning.

What are other peoples results of eating rice dishes on the trail? Does it stick with you, our simply provide a "quick fix" to your hunger pangs…

During my recent JMT thru-hike, towards the end I increased my calorie intake to about 1000 calories of some dish with pasta in it and noticed that I had more energy the next day to tackle the 3000/4000' passes – I powered right up the passes. While it was difficult to choke down that many calories – the result was worth it IMHO. Additionally I suffered less end of the day/afternoon bonking than when I was just eating around 600 calorie meals. Of course after a week on the trail – your body gets stronger.

-martin

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I'd agree…when I wrote my first book it had a lot of rice recipes-but as time has gone by I have gone to eating quite a bit of pasta on the trail. I use the Barilla pasta and also whole wheat pasta from Trader Joe's. I precook and dehydrate my pasta at home for "instant" pasta.
    The amount of pasta recipes on our website (Freezerbagcooking.com) have gone up quite a bit in the past year.

I do still eat rice dishes, but I tend to bump up the protein in other ways to make up for it.

Patrick Korey

@biographie

I am new to the site. I like it a lot. Getting my education on the lightweight side of things. Maybe I am missing it, but where do I put in an order for this book? Is there a particular website? I was looking for a link to email Bill, but is not popping out at me. Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Patrick,
    As far as we can tell he is not having the book printed anymore, and his website has been gone for the past year or so. So unless you can find a used copy, no luck.

If you would like, take a look at my website for many ideas (Bill and I did share some similar viewpoints). My website is freezerbagcooking.com

Tim Halberg
    BPL Member

@turtlehead

Locale: Folsom, CA timhalberg.com

Does anyone have a copy of this book they would consider selling?

I'm trying desperately to find foods to eat on my through hike of the JMT next month.

Last time I did the hike I ate two packs of instant oatmeal for breakfast, three chewy granola bars for lunch and a box of couscous for dinner EVERY DAY! (not complaining, I actually didn't mind one bit) but I'd love to mix things up this time…

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Recommendations…

Freezer Bag Cooking Volume 1
    By Sarah Svien Kirkconnell

A Fork in the Trail
    By Laurie Ann March

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Visit my website. You might find recipes and ideas that you can use :-) Or search through here – many recipes, etc have been posted in the past 2 years.

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast

I think I found Mr. McCartney after 30 minutes of hard Googling. I sent an email asking about the book and will let you know if I get a response.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

George – thanks for the plug for my book… A Fork in the Trail. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools