Topic

Trail runners on Whitney?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail runners on Whitney?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey A.
    Spectator

@jeff81

So this summer I'll be hiking Whitney twice. Once in a day hike and another time in a 5 night backpacking trip. Its been a while since I've backpacked and so new shoes are in order. I was hoping to get trail runners rather than heavy duty hiking shoes so that I could use them for shorter hikes after the trips as well. Would trail runners hold up on the 5 day trip alright?

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Trail runners are great, as long as you are generally staying on the trail system.

If your route to the mountain heads cross-country over some of the interesting sierra passes, the runners may leave a little to be desired.

– Klas

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

As above, trail runners are just fine. It's what I wear in my last two hikes up Whitney.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

They'll work just fine. Note that they usually have crappy traction compared to boots, so you may have less confidence on the rocks.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"Would trail runners hold up on the 5 day trip alright?"

I through-hiked the PCT in trail runners last year, including Whitney/JMT portion in early June. 5 pairs got me 2600+ miles, using a shoe that's regarded as poor for durability (Golite Sundragon II's) so one pair of trail runners will surely last you 5 days (!).

In fact, trail runners or similar shoes have become the most common choice for long distance backpackers, no worries on that score. If you're still uncertain, bring a little extra duct tape.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

You will be fine with trail runners. That is what I used a few years ago. Just watch you foot placings. Some of the those rocks can hurt. Other than that, your feet will love you!!!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I agree.

In 2007 I did the High Sierra Trail from Sequoia National Park to Mt. Whitney going 70 miles with Innov8 Terroc 330's without a problem.

I do find that the Innov-8, which are the only brand of trail runners that I have used (I am on my 3rd pair…2 pair Terrocs and now using 295s) and I find that 200 miles on them is what I am getting.

In that sense, I am disappointed in the short tread life of the sole….the rest of the shoe has done very well.

-Tony

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools