Topic

Worked with Cuben for the first time today

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Worked with Cuben for the first time today

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Rebuilt my old Kelty Alpine pack from the 70's. Many many miles on that one. Now weighs 3# after I removed some odds and ends.

Changed all the metal adjusters to plastic and that helped too.

Still need to replace the alum internal stays with lighter carbon fiber ones, and that should get the weight down to 2# 8oz or so.

Thought I would make a new Cuben bag cover for it since my old one just hit the trash thank god.

This stuff is rediculous. Seems way to thin, way too flimsy, but it is really a strong material.

Sewed fine, but it was hard to cut.
    Dont have a hot knife.

I do like the transaparency for storage bags especially, but I dont think I will be making any more serious equipment with the .6 oz stuff although I thought I might experiment with a fly, also carrying a backup in case it fails.

Anybody think its worth the extra money over Silnylon 1.1 to save that little bit of weight.

The bag cover is a pretty big size and with the smallest elastic drawcord and a mini mini toggle weighs 3/4 oz which is impressive. A silnylon would probably weigh 1.2 oz or so…

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Troy,

I just use an Xacto knife to cut my Cuben. Cuben doesn't fray so I hot knife isn't really necessary.

I use Cuben for one reason and that is for its light weight.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I actually thought about that.

Wish the stuff was not so darn expensive.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools