Topic

Where in Lone Pine 2 Ship JMT Trailend Stuff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Where in Lone Pine 2 Ship JMT Trailend Stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Best place in Lone Pine to ship JMT Trail end stuff is where?

From Yosemite Valley, for the 2 days prior to hitting the JMT, I wish to ship a few items (soft pack cover, clean clothes, cell phone) to a place in Lone Pine that is open till about 7-8 pm at night, so that when I get to Lone Pine, I can pick up the supplies and use them that night. I intend to stay in a hotel in Lone Pine and I have no problems paying $25 for a place to securely hold onto the items. I am most concerned about my cell phone which I don't want to hike with due to it being useless on the trail and unwanted weight. Several others in our group will be in the same situation. Some places I wonder about: Whitney Hostel, Whitney Portal Store, Elevation Backpacking Store, Dow Villa Motel. Who recommends what and why, and how to ship? Thanks! PS, This will be for mid-August, 2009.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I wonder if Yogi's PCT book would have non-post office maildrop info.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

"I wonder if Yogi's PCT book would have non-post office maildrop info."

Nope, just checked. Yogi only lists the post office. Seems like the easiest is to arrange to send it to whatever hotel I was staying at assuming you make a reservation. Otherwise, whitney portal is right on your path and open longer hours than the post office.

p.s. I meant the Whitney Portal Store, also I great place to get a cold beer and double bacon cheeseburger to wrap up your trip. :)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Roleigh,

Why don't you mail it to the hotel where you'll be staying. I've parked cars, for the end of a trip, at the motel where we would be staying. One time the motel even offered to drive to the trailhead and pick us up, for the ride to town.

Wouldn't hurt to ask… you don't ask, you don't get.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Denis, which hotel / motel did you stay at – the Dow Villa?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Roleigh,
    I don't remember the name of the Lone Pine motel where we stayed. It was in 2000. I called a friend that was on that trip but he couldn't remember either.

The motel that offered the ride was at South Lake Tahoe, and probably wouldn't do you any good. The guy sold that motel. Too bad, he gave PCT hikers a cut rate, along with the ride.

Paul I
    BPL Member

@piracki

Locale: San Francisco

Unfortunately they misplaced it at the motel and didn't locate it til the following day. We finished the trail a day early and spent it in Lone Pine at the Dow around the pool with some of the other hikers we met along the way…a great way to end a great trip…

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

It's good to find places that will accommodate the back country traveler's "interesting" requests. Most every year I've had to arrange for parking of group vehicles, and caching of gear for end-of-hike access. I've had great luck in getting services I need. Needing a place to leave cars, for a Lost Coast hike (the public parking lot having been vandalized by folks stealing gas). I contacted a Lodge and the owner not only rearranged his tenant parking, but allowed us room for four cars and offered to ferry us the two miles to the public lot, where we were to meet our Lost Coast Shuttle, to Mattole River. He declined any offer of payment and I told him we would like very much to stop for dinner in his restaurant. There were 6 of us and you can't get much friendlier than that. The guy said he wasn't really aware of the number of hikers doing the Lost Coast hike. He was a Trail Angel in waiting.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools