Topic

2 to 3L aluminum pot WITHOUT handle to use with clamp-on ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 to 3L aluminum pot WITHOUT handle to use with clamp-on ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

Well, I guess the title is pretty self explanatory.

I’m looking for a somewhat large pot, between 2 to 3 litres. Preferably out of aluminum, for price reasons.
    So far I really liked using some fire-maple or other cheap Hard-Anodized pots from Aliexpress. To lighten their weight, I’ve stripped the steel handle, and use a simple clamp-on pot holder, which is, IMO, more practical especially when cooking on a wood stove or wood fire. The pots leak just a bit when really full.

Now I need a larger pot, 2 to 3L. I could find one on Aliexpress and strip the handles as well, but I’d like to know if there’s something that I wouldn’t need to modify. I can’t be the only one looking for that !

To sum up :
    2-3L capacity, 2.5L ideal.
    no-handle
    Hard-anodized, no ceramic or other coating

Thanks in advance !!

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

2.5l potfull with a pangrabber  is hard work.

Trangia do a decent designed aluminium 2.5l Billy with a bail.

About $25

In itself, it’s reasonably light but the lid and bail push the weight up.

https://wildreview.blogspot.com/2015/10/trangia-billy-can.html?m=1

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

http://www.opencountrycampware.com/products/CAMPING-EQUIPMENT/Pots-and-Kettles/

Removing the bail is easy, probably as light as your gripper anyway. $6 for the 2 liter!

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Think the 2 quart pot is the same size/pattern as the old AGG 2quart non stick pot I have.

Actually only 1.6litre capacity.

Does that mean the 4quart is 3.2litre?

I see on AliExpress plenty of 4 litre pots or larger, but nothing 2.5litre.

Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

For reference, this kit has a 3.2L with Handle though.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

That Trangia pot could be an art mantle piece of for some of us! +1 for that one.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

What Dale said, Open Country pots have no handles or bales. My 3 cup pot came with my TD Sidewinder ti Caldera Cone. I use a skeletonized aluminum gripper.

Also I cut the handle off my aluminum “1 egg” skillet. Got it at WallyMart B/C it had a cermic non-stick lining. Weighs as much as my pot and lid so I only take it when I absolutely have to fry something, like pancakes and raw sausage in winter. (Makes my mouth water just typing it.)

Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

Forgot to mention: I recently received a NatureHike 4L HA aluminum billy pot. Here are the approximate weights

• Pot without bail and lid but with bail attachment points : 355 g
    • Bail : 70 g
    • Lid : 95 g

Some quick testing makes me think that the bail could easily be replaced by a lightweight chain or cable, somehow attached to the lip of the pot. I tried it with some small hooks and a lightweight cable and it could hold about 4kg with no problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools