Topic

2 person net tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 person net tent

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Before I pull the cord and buy a Stratospire for 2 person trips, I want to know if I am missing any good inner net tents on the market.

My big criteria is atleast a 50″ floor width, no exceptions. The stratospire 2 is heavy compared to a plain tarp and bug tent. The right/roomy size net, I might be able to convince others to sleep floor less but it better be roomy lol. If the Stratospire was less finicky then a standard tarp or free standing, I could justify the added weight. Appreciate any input, thanks

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

I’m guessing you want that 50″ width the entire length of the floor?  I was just thinking of the MLD Serenity Duo, it tapers from 50″ head end to 45″ foot end.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I believe the Bearpaw Walled Net tent comes without a width taper. Might check into that.

David Maxwell
    BPL Member

@davidmaxwell

Locale: eastern, tn

We enjoy our Light Heart Gear Duo. It comes in at 55″ wide, 100″ long. Tons of room, all our gear can fit inside. 2 doors. Awning on one side. If we wear this one out our next one will have the awning on both sides.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Recently I got to see firsthand a reasonably lightweight (41oz) tarp-style tent whose specs have interested me for a while, which is the SMD Lunar Duo. I luv-luv-luv my Zpacks Duplex, but for those times when I need a tent that will actually accommodate 2 adults comfortably, this would be my choice.

This thing is very generously sized and the 2 brow poles do wonders for creating a lot of headroom. 90″ long and 54″ wide, and all of it usable space.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I would like it to not be a tapered floor. A side zip bear paw might be just the ticket. Anyone have any experience with the company and its products?

Bob, I had a duo years ago. It is a mighty nice big single wall tent. I am looking for a double wall setup. I prefer to cowboy camp as much as possible and have gotten used to just using a bivy. Others I hike with or plan to hike with not so much. I like the versatility of setting up one or the other and setting up the fly first and keeping the inner dry if raining. Also be nice to have a livable bug free Zone and skip the tarp pitch as much as possible.

The big difference for me is packability, when the fly is wet, it can be stored seperate and is smaller and easier to deal with drying later in the day if needed.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

While I haven’t owned anything from Bearpaw the general consensus on here is that people love what they get for the money. It seems that the quality and perfection of the stitching, etc. isn’t quite up there with MLD, HMG, and the other big ones but it’s definitely acceptable for the cost. Do a forum search, though, and you will see that A LOT of people purchase and use stuff from Bearpaw so it’s definitely far from a tiny, no-name shop.

I nearly ordered a canopy tarp from them but the only reason I didn’t was because John was quite negative when I spoke with him on the phone. I asked him to use Silpoly and he said “No way, that stuff is crap” so I looked the other way. FWIW…

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I’ll add that you should reach out to Gen at Yama Mountain Gear. He will do custom work and his 2 person net tent (tapered width but I bet he would do it without) seems to be loved around here. He’s who I ended up going with as he’s as helpful as they get. Honestly, he’s been way too nice to me for all the questions and emails I’ve sent him. But, this service has caused me to raise my very small initial shelter budget to the current order of a cuben SW Cirriform for my wife and I. Should be here in a week or two. Give him a shot for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools