Topic

2 Person: GG The Two vs SMD Haven?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 Person: GG The Two vs SMD Haven?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hi there,

I’m looking for a lightweight, 3-season, trekking pole setup, 2 person shelter that can be used fly-only and doesn’t require too much space (such as the Lanshan).

I narrowed down my search to the Gossamer Gear The Two and the Six Moon Designs Haven, both with optional Inner.

Did anyone compare these two tents and can maybe share an opinion?
    Negative/Positive aspects are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Also, are those measurements here wrong?
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1300/6549/products/The_Two_2019_2048x.jpg?v=1558845641
    Can’t be 90 for the sides I guess?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The vestibules are 90cm deep.

I’m gessing the drowing is not accurate.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

The Two has an optional inner??

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Good catch.

The Two is an hybrid , tarp tent style. So a fly with attached sides and floor. So, there is a partial built in inner, not optional.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Looking at the GG website the ridge in photos are wider than the floor, at least 120 cm, not about 40 cm as drawn.

I have a smd haven (in dcf) and it works well plus has an optional inner.  The Haven is asymmetric and has upper vents to help with condensation; these are missing from The Two.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

BTW, Christoph,

any reason why you did not look at the Tarptent StratoSpire 2 ?

That has a separate inner, large vestibules  and vents too….

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Thanks guys, you’re right only the Haven has an optional inner – I noticed but couldn’t edit the post.

Anyway, it looks like the “The Two” drawings are not correct if the numbers are.

In general I would prefer a smaller footprint overall, I only need one vestibule really but it looks like there is no option, all of the choices (Lanshan 2 and StratoSpire as well) are very wide…

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

Without setting my gg2 up and measuring, I would say that from the edge of the bathtub floor to the edge of the furthest point  of the vestibule is an easy three feet so the 90 centimeters is probably correct. I know the drawing doesn’t look correct scale and the two does take up a little more real estate than my “the one” . I have Not found the situation what I can’t set it up because of its footprint but every once in awhile I have set it up where it’s much more convenient to go out one door or the other and not both.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Thanks for the comments. Apparently the Lanshan 2 is not as large as I thought so it might also be an option. There will be a new version around 800g it seems.

Regarding the GG The Two, I read many comments mentioning the fact that the inner is directly sewn to the wall, allowing condensation to flow downwards into the tent. This is a bit of a showstopper. Did anyone encounter this?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

When do you need the tent?  The Massdrop/Dan Durston X-Mid 2 Person might be an option.   I’ve been impressed by the solo version.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

I’d like to have it this year so that’s probably not an option.

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

I have both the original the One, and the new version of the One and the Two. Though there’s been many times, close to 300 nights using the GG tents, that I’ve had condensation generally it’s not much, it’s never been a problem as far as anything getting wet or damp.  The condensation seems very easy to manage that includes most of the AT,  with  plenty of nights in the southeast when  others had terrific condensation issues and a month trip in the high Sierras approaching winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools