Topic

2-person damp weather sleep systems- quits and pads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2-person damp weather sleep systems- quits and pads

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

My wife and I are planning some backpacking on a couple coasts this summer. Living in the desert, we generally use our EE Accomplice and foam mats. Prolonged dampness, a single wall tent, and down don’t get along too well. I have had luck searching the forums for sleeping pad solutions. Maybe the Synmat, dual? 32 oz, but warm and convenient, or two light singles strapped together. I have never owned an air mattress. (desert, spiky things)

The thing that seems elusive is a lightweight two-person synthetic quilt. Maybe I am just not using the right search string. Any ideas? Lows in the 40s, but marine air. I stay warm, but my wife doesn’t.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

EE does some amount of custom work. I wonder if they would make an Apex Accomplice? Or the XWide Convert Apex is pretty wide when you unzip it and use it like a blanket (64-70 inches at the shoulder, 40 at the foot).

Zenbivy makes double-wide sheets for the bottom. Then all you would need is a rectangular synthetic bag, or even a synthetic blanket for the top.

Timmermade makes synthetic over-quilts that might be good for Summer. They make custom sizes.

If you and your wife need different layers anyway, then maybe TWO quilts instead of one big one? Or two lighter synthetic blankets so that she could use two while you share one? There are many lightweight synthetic blankets available. Some even have attachment points if you feel a need to strap it/them to your pad(s).

(If you LIKE your foam mats, then there is no requirement to use inflatable pads. Unless you want to.)

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I asked EE about an Apex Accomplice a couple of years ago and they said no. I ended up getting one made to my measurements by Gramxpert. I think they will ship to the U.S.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

The classic lightweight packable synthetic blanket is the military “poncho liner” or “woobie blanket”. It is really more of a blanket than a poncho liner because it has no hole for your head. However, it has ties that match a military poncho. The poncho and liner combine to make a “ranger roll” which is basically a weatherproof sleeping bag/bivvy combo. It isn’t fancy GoreTex, but it is budget-friendly.

There are a ton of these poncho liners around: eBay, Amazon, and pretty much any military surplus store.

Snugpak makes a couple of upgraded variants. Their Jungle Blanket is slightly warmer than the military-issued liner (but without the ties). Their Swagman Roll is a true poncho liner, complete with hood and clips around the waist. The concept is that it can replace the puffy jacket in your pack, in addition to being a blanket.

These are not queen-size, but two or more could work in the multi-blanket approach.

There are many more lightweight synthetic blankets; these are just a couple of examples that have been used by backpackers for decades.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Get two slim EE Converts and zip them together. More girth than an Accomplice but you can tuck the extra underneath you for added warmth. Easier to pack than a big, bulky 2P quilt. Plus, you could get two different temp ratings for the hot and cold sleeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHLsfAaHjQI&t=87s

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’ll bet the guy at simplylightdesigns would make a double wide synthetic blanket for you. He only works with Apex and offers it in 2.5 oz, 3.6 oz , 5 oz and 6 oz. Uses Argon 90 (15D) and Ion (20D) for shells. Probably would do Argon 67 upon request. https://simplylightdesigns.com/collections/what-s-new/products/summit-backpacking-blanket

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

You might do fine with your down if you do a few things
    – bigger shelter so room to keep down dry.
    -a dry change of sleeping clothes
    -small towl (those Shamwaw towels with the silly commercials actually worked reasonably well if i recall).

Key thing is time andcspacevto dry out. Synthetic makes more sense if you are hunting, adventure racing or otherwise pushing yourselves to the limit.

I don’t recall much marine air camping but i used down in some British Columbia rainforest conditions and it was okay (but i was careful). Just another persective.

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

Hhmmm….my previous attempt didn’t work.   Let’s try this.

https://www.bigagnes.com/collections/doublewide-sleeping-bags

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Thanks all I am looking at the Summit Backpacking Blanket and the EE Apex Convert.   Do any couples use either of these? I am 5’9” 170 lbs, my wife is 5’4” 120. So we are smallish. Would it be possible to use one EE convert X-wide? or a 58 inch Summit blanket?

Also, any concept of weight difference, lightweight efficiency? It is pretty hard to calculate given the custom size options.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

EE calculates weight for you. Look below the price.

For Summit, send an email. The Contact page says that they respond quickly.

Both should be very lightweight choices.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools