Topic

2 ounce solar water purifier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 2 ounce solar water purifier

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Did anyone else see this on the news last night?: a 2 ounce-ish solar ‘panel’ with extras that’s about 3/4 of an inch long and 1/4 inch wide. Apparently it’s being developed to purify water in third world countries. It takes 20 minutes to purify water–I missed out on how much water, sorry. You drop it into water and let it sit. I’m not even sure of the principles involved–I was going to bed and barely caught the broadcast. but no, I wasn’t dreaming!

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Here’s an article about it.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

That is pretty darn amazing!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

That is pretty darn amazing!

Agreed! But for backpacking I’m not certain I would want to pin my ability to purify water on having a bright sunny day.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Could be interesting if this works in the real world, but don’t hold your breath.

Press release:

https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/2016-08-15-slac-stanford-gadget-grabs-more-solar-energy-disinfect-water-faster.aspx

Nature Nanotechnology paper:

http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2016.138.html

…we achieved water disinfection of >99.999% inactivation of bacteria in 20 min with a small amount of material (1.6 mg / liter) under simulated visible light

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

No sunlight, no problem.

One of the key features of this new material is harvesting visible light. Somebody could develop a bottle with this material and a bunch of LEDs tuned to the frequencies that generate the most hydrogen peroxide. Use built-in rechargeable batteries with a limited lifespan for guaranteed return customers. If you really want to over-engineer it, include solar cells so you can recharge the batteries. Add a few incremental patents and you have a multimillion dollar business.

Maybe. From the press release:

… it’s only been tested on specific concentrations of bacteria mixed with less than an ounce of water in the lab, not on the complex stews of contaminants found in the real world.

As we’ve seen from other “breakthrough” water purification technologies, it’s a long way from the lab to a product sold by REI.

— Rex

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I’m not sure how this benefits the first-world ultralight backpacker.   If you’re going to use a chemical method (which this is, indirectly – it generates ROS) we already have the proven direct chemical method of Aquatabs – and they weigh virtually nothing, and don’t require bright sunlight.    The major drawback of chemical methods is that they are less effective against spores, and this won’t address that problem.

The benefits of a non-consumable method are obvious in the Third World, of course.   Something light and portable that could set up a purifying installation for a village or for a disaster zone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools