Topic

2/3 running, 1/3 walking??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities 2/3 running, 1/3 walking??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I started running again and sure enough I find out I have some disk problems in my neck. I was told I should be ok trail running but they recommend I take walking breaks mainly to get back into a good posture. I was told there were many benefits to alternating between running and walking, regardless of spine/disk problems.

Any  thoughts?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I just ran (well, ambled is perhaps a better descriptor) a half marathon in Virginia. Throughout the second half of the run, I was always either passing or being passed by a fellow runner. Only she was a run/walk runner, alternating between running and walking the entire time.

She passed me for good with less than a mile to go. So it worked for her.

I believe Jeff Galloway (former Olympian) was a proponent of run/walk.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

First, congrats on the half marathon!

I’ll look Galloway up. Thanks

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Kat,

Doug is right, Jeff Galloway, an Olympic marathoner and long time coach is a strong advocate of walking breaks. A number of elite distance runners have used walking to keep their heart rates down to the right level during bouts of heavy training. Walking is also used with new runners. Walking can easily extend a training session. As to posture, stay focused on staying relaxed while you run and not hunching over or raising your shoulders. Walk on!

BJ

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I was second among males in my age group in Washington!

(Of course, there were only three runners overall from Washington, and one was a female. She also finished ahead of me)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

For mere mortals doing the Leadville 100 a common strategy is to walk the first 25, then jog only on the flats, do the uphills as best you can, jog the slightly downhills, and walk the steep downhills.

Walking has great merit.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Google “interval training” and “fartlek” training. Been around forever and is how I often trained long before you were born.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Fartlek=speed play! I wasn’t going to play the age card! My hat’s off to you.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@bjc yes raising my shoulders is a big one for me. I tend to do that even when I walk. Something to do with being 5’2” and an attitude ;). I tried yesterday and physically it was ok, psychologically it’s a bit of a bigger hurdle. The more I hear about the benefits the more it will sink in as a good thing.

@Greg
    as a quite mortal here I will keep that in mind.

@Nick
    I bookmarked a couple articles that came up with that search. Thanks.

@Doug
    I am just impressed by your running, mate.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

You can still do 4 miles an hour walking, so it seems fine.  But for me, running is always a game of motivation.  Once I stop running, I dread starting back up again.  So I generally try not to stop until I am done.  We’re all wired a little differently on motivation though.

I can stay motivated on what I consider interval training.  For me, interval training involves almost a sprint – no more than a quarter mile, maybe less – with rest or walk periods in between sprints.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“Once I stop running, I dread starting back up again. So I generally try not to stop until I am done.”

that is exactly how I feel and why this is not easy to take in.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools