Topic

2-3 night backpacking trip in southeast Utah

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 2-3 night backpacking trip in southeast Utah

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JJ B
    BPL Member

@brooks11102

I’m flying to SLC with a friend on March 12 and spending 6 nights in Utah.  We’ll rent an SUV and likely head toward Moab.  We’ll likely sleep in the SUV or car camp when we’re not backpacking.   I’m looking for advice on premier 2-3 night backpacking trips in that area (Canyonlands, Dark Canyon, Grand Gulch) or anywhere else in that region. As well as spots to car camp between trips.  Preference to places where permits are easy to obtain or aren’t needed at all (not sure how realistic that is).  However, willing to do walk up permits or take any means necessary to obtain permits for primo backpacking trips.  I had looked at permits for needles district last week and it looked like nothing was available for the time we’ll be there, which surprised me given the time of year.  But ya live and ya learn I guess.

Any advice at all would be helpful.

Thank you!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

You renting the SUV?

JJ B
    BPL Member

@brooks11102

Yes we’ll have to rent.  For that reason we’ll have to be mindful of where we take it.

However, last year we rented a suburban and backpacked in and around rainbow bridge from the south side in navajo nation and we took it down some relatively hairy roads. Willing to assume some risk but i know there are a lot of roads in Utah we’d be totally unwilling to risk it on.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

@brooks11102: I’ve sent you a PM.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Canyonlands NP can be “nice“ that time of year in a sunny but chilly sense for a first visit, … though weather can roll in.  More restrictions than when I visited too (WAG bags iirc).

Chesler Pk to Druid Arch was fun in spring, but not fall.  Needles visitor center is closeby and down the road from Moab.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

40 days to go.

211 to Needles 1-29-21

211 to Needles 1-29-21

Cedar Mesa @ Kane Ranger Station 1-29-21

Cedar Mesa 1-29-21

OTOH the actual main part of Needles looks pretty much OK at least down in the canyons. Anything facing WNW to NE, @ 100 degrees, say 290 to 30 will have snow/ice and crossing a fin to the next drainage? Oh boy. Could/should be better in 40 days but may not be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools