Topic

2-3 days trip – Adirondack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking 2-3 days trip – Adirondack

• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

Locale: Québec, Canada

Greetings everyone. I’m looking for a nice 2-3 days trip in the Adirondack. We will be 3 and we should go in 2 weeks. The closer to Montreal (road time) would be the better.

I’m also not sure what kind of shelter we should choose: Tent (megalight, lean-to or hut if they exist).

Any one have a suggestion? Your help is appreciated.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

In the Adirondacks it’s advisable to bring a shelter even if you plan on camping in a lean-to. It’s also generally warmer sleeping on the ground.

This year has been pretty dry so it is icy and not as snowy as usual. Without knowing your experience levels it would be hard to recommend a particular route.

Some paths can be quite dangerous without proper equipment like crampons and mountaineering axes. If you do have these things the High Peaks are a popular choice year round with many trails and lean tos.

Check out trip reports for the Adirondacks here http://www.adkhighpeaks.com

Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

I have experience winter backpacking, summer mountaineering, but not winter mountaineering. I would avoid a situation where an ice axe is needed. Using crampon or snowshoes is not a problem.

Thank you, I’ll look at that link.

John Macri
    BPL Member

@jpmac55

No huts but plenty of lean-to’s.

You may consider taking an ice ax if you own one. An ice axe can helpful getting water.

Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

Good tip John. We will finally go to Witheface and Ester. After that, coming back home or stay for the night in a motel and try another 46ter in the morning. So in that scenario, we will just bring water with us.

Someone knows if it’s possible and permitted to use “ski-shoes”, hok or wap, in those places?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Here is some links to other trails. http://www.adirondackexperience.com/recreation/snowshoeing

Whiteface/Esther is OK, a nice trip, generally.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9198.html  Note the Wilmington Area for Whiteface.

Snowshoes or Skis must be worn in the ADK’s if there is 8″ of snow. Of course, this excludes mountain climbing, etc…there are always exceptions. So, I think your ski boots would be OK, but, these would do some bad things (post hole) to the trails if you don’t use your skis. Ice is common, so crampons or other traction devices are recommended.

Prepare for a minimum of -20F in the peaks. While Marcy was -146 (one HUNDRED and fourty six!!!) last week, this is unusual. Winter can be brutal in the High Peaks. Weather on many of the peaks can turn in a matter of an hour or two. Make sure to check before leaving. Always carry a map and compass! Put them in your pocket/on your lanyard around your neck. Whiteout conditions, visibility less than 10′ is common.  Always carry two ways to make fire (a lighter, and sparker for example.) Slip these into your pocket, also. An emergency blanket (or two) is also highly recommended, more for an emergency shelter than a blanket.

Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

Thanks for the tip. I’m comfortable with winter camping and winter in general, but I’m aware that the temperature can change pretty fast in the high peaks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi James, the -146 temp, i assume was with very strong wind, thus wind chill–feel like temp?  I have a hard time imagining that kind of static temp happening in mainland US (that’s like deep Antarctica in winter static temps). Either way, that’s pretty crazy and extreme though!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Justin, Yes, that -146 included the wind chill. I think the static temp was close to -40 or so.  I usually avoid that area in winter. There are too many crazies up there… People that drag a kayak up John’s Brook for spring run-of, and wait for a week or more for the peak flood. People who hike up there without a map/compass (no conception of a true whiteout.)  I have stumbled across people who leave in a group of 6, and all go their separate ways after registering. 8-9 year old children on the trails at -20F. People who put on 4 pair of wool socks to wear croks. Others will not build a fire and use bear balls in deep winter…they thing bears are active, I guess… People get hurt or lost up there all the time. No Thanks, I don’t need to be rescuing Darwin Candidates my whole trip.

Winters up there are brutal. A light gear kit (<20 pounds) is often not close to adequate. Even in summer, they sometimes get a frost. Here is a link to Whiteface, BTW: http://www.twcnews.com/nys/capital-region/news/2015/02/16/wind-chills-at-peak-of-whiteface-mountain-reach–110.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the link. Sounds like some of those hikers are a bit of a “hot mess” so to speak.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools