Topic

1st Quilt – 0, 10, 20F UFG?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 1st Quilt – 0, 10, 20F UFG?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jake
    BPL Member

@trekmore

Locale: Colorado

Hey all, been searching and reading a pile of posts. Figured I ask and see what peoples thoughts are. Planning some winter backpacking in Colorado. Probably 9k-10k feet elevation wise.  Would not be for a month (quilts are 3-4 weeks out) or so, but planning on looking for a ‘warmer’ spell – so maybe 20-25F at night. Although, you know the mountains…

I have not used a quilt before, but often use an open sleeping bag. I am a side/stomach/floppy fish sleeper – all over the place and get claustrophobic in mummy bags.

I’m thinking I’ll go with a UFG quilt, long/wide, etc. since I flop around and sleep on my side/stomach. Was debating between 0F and 10F or maybe 20F.  BUT – reality is probably the 0F (2oz more than the 10F) is probably the best bet.  Safety wise, flexibility wise since I move around and will likely pull in some cold air, so having it potentially warmer seems to make sense.  And of course IF we end up with it being 10F or something, having the 0F seems safer.  I realize I can wear fleece pants, puffy coat, ect.

I’m fairly sure I’ve over thought it, but its a chunk of cash, so wondering if I’m missing anything here.

(will be in a TarpTent, on, I think a Big Ag Q-Core SLX)

Thanks y’all, Jake

Tom B
    BPL Member

@shovel-man

Hi Jake

As I’m sure you realize, the ratings are only a rough guide. I’m a cold sleeper so for me a 0 degree bag is good for 20 and above.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I am a warm sleeper, hence I can easily take my bags about 10° below temp ratings…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Go with the zero-degree quilt – especially since it will be your first.  In the unlikely event that you find yourself too warm a quilt is easy to vent quite quickly.  In truth, you’ll probably roll over if you get too warm and find that your quilt is self-venting.  It’s easy to cool down – really hard to get warmer.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

If you move around a lot, it’s nice to have a wider quilt, whatever the temp rating. And use the pad attachment system to minimize drafts.

Also, CO can hit 20 degrees in July, but at least it’s a dry-cold, right?

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

Also, aside from temp ratings being a rough guide, take note of the reputation of the manufacturer with regards to rating. I prefer quilts for warm weather so I have a UGQ rated to 30 degrees, which for me is an accurate rating. If I were going to buy from EE I would have gone down to at least 20 based on their down fill for their temp ratings. Nunatak is an example of a company with a reputation for accurate/conservative ratings.

Jake
    BPL Member

@trekmore

Thanks yall. I’m gonna go w the 0.  Most flexible.  Dustin – for sure… It can get way colder… Even at 9-10k and certainly above that. And ya… A dry cold… Lol :)

Definately getting the wide and long.

Jake
    BPL Member

@trekmore

And… duh… I (maybe obviously) meant UGQ Bandit quilt – no idea where I got ‘ufg’ from. I guess I better leave the house to clear my head. :/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools