Topic

Tarptent Urgent recall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Urgent recall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Having just read the sad story of long distance doping ( I have always suspected that several members of another forum are dope heads but not in this sense) I was going to refrain from posting this uncomfortable bit of news, but the truth has to be told.
    Sorry Henry.

The first production run of the Scarp 1 shipped to the Southern Hemisphere contained a set of instructions meant to be for the Northern Hemisphere only . If you follow them to the letter this is what happens.
    If you are in this predicament, please return your Scarp 1 to Tarptent for a replacement or refund.
    ( I have fixed the problem with mine but can be dangerous if you are not a trained professional )
    This does not apply to the Scarp 2.
    Franco
    Wrong instructions

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Franco has finally fallen off the edge… down under!

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Thank god you're on the case Franco!

And lucky for me my Contrail has the SH instructions. Unlike you, I am no trained professional. It looks very dangerous, and really quite scarey.

Thanks for your very timely warning.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

To tell you the truth, I never read the instructions. I usually get some pleasure setting up a shelter by instinct, only to find later that it would have taken me three times as long if I did it the way those incompetents that write instruction sheets would have you doing it. The Scarp was an exception to the rule. And I paid the price for that.
    Franco

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ummm, Andrew, I thought you said you weren't buying any new gear?

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Ahh, Ben your're a sharp one, ain't ya???

Your're quite correct. And I'm still faithful to my pledge (so far…).

But I've had my Contrail for a few years now.

I would have hated to send it back to Henry. ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Your're quite correct. And I'm still faithful to my pledge (so far…)."

Give it time… it's barely April.

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

To explain, I do know that 98% of Americans * cannot find their own country on a world map so Australia is not exactly easily identified as that blob somewhere between the Pacific and the Indian ocean. To exacerbate the problem most mistake Australia for Austria and that is indeed in the Northern Hemisphere, but having sent to Henry a pet kangaroo he should know that they don't leap over mountains nor yodel.
    Franco
    * According to a Gullible poll dated 1/4/2008 (Ru1.2)

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Maybe Henry can just post the correct manual as a Youtube Video, here's the How to:

http://www.youtube.com/t/new_viewing_experience

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Franco,

Thanks for the great post, have you tried reading the instructions upside down.

Tony

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Goodness Hendrick, it's 2009 we need automatics , not manuals.
    I lost the ability to find anything funny in 1952, 2 years after the introduction of canned laughter.
    Smileys and the like not only buried the remains of my once acute sense of humour, but cremated them.
    Franco

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Are you quite sure that it is the TarpTents that need tweaking? I read on a recent Wikipedia post (where all things are true and verified) that it might very well be the word "Australia" itself which effects both the earth's magnetic field and all sense of direction on local life forms. Interviews with Aboriginal elders indicate that they weren't kidding when they named Uhuru as the "Belly of the Earth". They had enough years of experience to know that tent stakes don't work and that a canopy over your head was only practiced by untried youths and newcomers to the Land. Which begs the question: is Franco's above Scarp 1 setup in fact correct?

Ben, I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by, "Ben.
    The Gear Enbaler.
    ". Surely your pack isn't so heavy that you must constantly drop things off along the way? Or else your pack is so feathery light that you pay people along the trail to borrow necessities?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

when I initially read the title , I kinda gasped in horror… (I'm about to order the very un-mentioned TT Rainbow)

Thanks! :shock:

gotta nice laugh, when I saw that pic!!!! LOL!!!

On a side note, my diagnosis is that it's clearly broken (mfg's fault, obviously)… I'd sue… or hit henry with a trekking pole, throw a tent spike or something, grrrr…

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

In this configuration, it can be marketed as the TarpBoat.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Any others having this problem may send their tarptents directly to me for correction. I will personally field test each tarptent before returning to you.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Actually, after several-too-many Aussie brewskis, it looks like Franco has discovered the Tarptent Stealth Hammock and Cradle set-up option, useful where trees are scarce and/or a truly relaxing night's sleep is needed by over-stressed hikers/trekkers. Let the trade winds rock you to sleep.

Henry is a genius – a true Trail God.

I'll be glad when April 02 gets here!

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Just read the directions upside down and you'll be fine.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Franco, did you just come up with the TarpRaft…a lightweight, packable dual-duty tent and raft for river/stream crossings??? ;-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

William, well spotted.
    Henry has been working on the tent-water raft combo for some time and this is it. Just unclip the inner , add the optional liner and three or four people can cross a river (with packs) on board. Pretty nifty isn't it ?
    The liner should be posted under accessories on the Scarp order page today. It will be available for the Scarp 2 as well (4-6 people)
    Franco

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Hmm…with the right configuration, the noseeum netting could be used as seine net or perhaps a sea anchor…with the proper accessory poles of course!!!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

This what our clocks are like in OZ

Australian clock

Tony

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I had one of those too, it's made in China like our Prime Minister.
    Franco

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools