Topic

Round 3 with the 1.8 oz Heiniken wood gas stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Round 3 with the 1.8 oz Heiniken wood gas stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

So the upsidedown design is still working better.

Still have the Basic sardine can as a burner.

Changed the catalyst to only 1 vasolined cotten ball pulled into 6 pieces.

It fires and burns without an insulator like I hade before which reduces the weight to 1.8 oz.
    It was previously 3 oz with the insulator.

I pulled one vasolined cotton ball into 6 pieces and worked them into a ball. One in the very bottom and covered with a layer of wood, and so on, IE 4 mini balls and 4 layers of wood. On top 2 of the biggest balls pulled up and twisted together to create a wick.

Does not light off as fast as the insulated can, but the damage to the alum can is not as great either.

Not sure how it would act in extremely cold weather, but I think you would probably need some insulation around the can of some sort.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I think you would actually get a lighter stove if you made it out of titanium because you can use thinner material. I made my firebox cylinder out of 0.005 titanium and it's held up well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools