Topic

Driducks/Rainshield jacket in extreme winds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Driducks/Rainshield jacket in extreme winds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Anyone used the Driducks or Rainshield jacket in extreme winds before and had any problems? I'm not talking very breezy, more like holy-what's-happening? type wind.
    Thanks

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I wore my Driducks suit through some very intense winds during a hike on the beach in Assateague Island Nat'l Seashore. We had sustained winds over 30 mph, gusting possibly close to 50 mph, enough to turn normally slight east coast waves into huge breakers. The entire beach was a sandstorm. The suit held up just fine but I will stress that while the micropore suits are capable of handling these conditions, they aren't made for them. If you're going to be facing such conditions periodically, I would buy something sturdier and closer fitting.

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Locale: Israel

I used DriDuck top on couple of peaks at White Mountains.
    It was really nice, warm and comfy. Though I probably would agree with previous reply and not stress it to much.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Yeah, I agree with not tempting fate with them. I used Rainshield jackets on all thru-hikes and have switched to Driducks due to the color. I am going to be walking across Iceland and it is going to be super windy and I'm thinking lots of duct tape patch jobs could essentially turn it into a duct tape jacket. Probably not too breathable, I would think.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've had my Driducks in 50mph winds. Considering how you wrap and close up your jacket — I don't think winds are a problem at all — versus abrasion against rocks.

Methinks that for normal trail hikes and camps — no jagged rocks and no real bushwhacking — I would worry much more about my tent in high winds than my Driducks.

Ken
    BPL Member

@scienceken

Locale: Western Oregon

I hiked along the Oregon Coast (south of Yachats) this month with my driducks trail pak suit. Gusts of wind were between 15 and 25 mph according to weather underground. Felt like the wind was faster than that in some of the coves and rocky areas I was hiking into, though. I'm guessing closer to 35 at times. I didn't notice any problem with the driducks suit in these conditions. I can't really imagine wind being a problem with this material.

I can imagine the suit becoming annoying in warm gusty conditions if it's a bit too large for it's user. There could be some obnoxious flapping of the excess material. The cut of these suits is rather generous. But once again, I can't imagine the material failing in any type of wind.

Ray Dunham

@raymond

Locale: SE US

I've used mine in Pisgah going over Black Blasam Knob with 50+ mile an hour wind and I put one small tear in it near the neck and shoulder. I fixed it with gorilla tape and have been using it the past 8 months with no other issues.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I was literally blown around by winds in Big Bend and Guadalupe. I endured days of stiff breezes in the Sierra. I had my tent implode by winds in the Shining Rock Wilderness. All I had for wind protection was my Frogg Toggs (heavier than driducks, I believe) and they worked wonderfully.

David Ure

@familyguy

My FroggTogg jacket ripped at the shoulder and hood seam in high winds. 45 minutes after wearing them for the first time. Your mileage may vary.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools