Topic

Adhesive for Polyester Fabrics?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adhesive for Polyester Fabrics?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Devon

@oaktree

Hello folks,

I'm looking to attach a lash tab to my PFD which has a polyester shell. The PFD is not easily opened to access the "wrong" side of the fabric so I've thought of a few different ideas. The easiest idea which seems like the highest chance of success is to stitch the lash tab/point onto a piece of polyester fabric and glue polyester to polyester.

However, I need some help finding a waterproof glue which will do the trick in this application. Any ideas or leads?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I would consider hand stitching from the outside with a curved needle. If the fabric has enough slack you can probably get by with a straight needle. Glue will sortof work, but not for long in watersports unless you really saturate the base fabric – which makes a big mess.

Trevor Devon

@oaktree

The fabric is quite taut, and the lash tab is plastic – I need it rigid to hold my river knife. I've thought about this option – maybe I'll give it a go. I think it might be easiest to pre-punch the holes in the tab before sewing.

However, due to the rigidity of the lash tab, perhaps I should sew over the edge of the tab? (enter through the pre-punched hole, go through fabric just below the hole, exit the fabric just to the outside of the tab, bring the thread over the top and repeat? – sorry if I'm being unclear)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools