Topic

Summer list, solo in the south with Ion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Summer list, solo in the south with Ion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Solo summer list(humid south) –

Bear Bag rope and rock case – 1.7
    Compass – 1.38
    Petzel E light – .9
    Cook Set – 8.38
    – Trapper Mug
    – Caldera cone with esbit stove
    – Brunton folding spork
    – 3 esbit tabs
    – Small bic lighter
    – Extra foil for lid and windscreen if needed
    – All housed in Caldera case
    Sun lotion – .64 re-packaged
    Bug Lotion – .63 re-packaged
    Vasaline – .59 re-packaged
    Purell – 1.01
    Med Kit – .78
    towel – 1.0
    Soap/toothpaste – .33
    Firesteel – .51
    Stuff sack – .45
    Stakes(easton 7") and guyline – 4.84
    Tarp(some attached guylines in stuff sack) – 10.35
    Under armour balaclava – 1.52
    Bandanna – 1.0
    Ion – 9.4 with no sternum strap(thinking about cutting waist straps as well)
    Keychain attached to shoulder strap with swiss classic and photon – 1.17

total weight so far – 46.58oz or 2.91 pounds

Still need to make
    – Summer quilt
    – Bug Bivy

Upgrades/still need to purchase/possible purchases
    – T.I. skewer stakes, also two Y stakes for main ridgeline
    – Air mattress(thinking about neoair)
    – A.R. style(whatever that means) sack for shoulder
    – Bug headnet
    – cooking coozy
    – water purification
    – lighter guy line (current is rei paracord)
    – Golite ether wind shirt
    – toothbrush

Just looking for some suggestions and comments. Trips will be one – three nights. Humid Arkansas weather(my first summer here) so I dont think I will need alot of insulation. AR guys please feel free to chime in with help in this category. I am going to make a 1" to 1 1/2" loft down quilt with poncho head hole to wear around camp if need be. Can always squeeze in some thermals and gloves if conditions call for it.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Jeff, you're going to love packing with the Ion. Your list looks pretty good and fit shouldn't be a problem. You can search the forums for a few ideas on what works and what doesn't in the pack. Just wanted to say welcome to a soon to be Ion fanatic!

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Thanks Don. Everything fits perfect. Even using an old thermarest heavy pad as a frame. It feels great to. I am almost disappointed I didnt buy one sooner. I have been keeping up on the ion threads and am looking forward to adding some features to it as I use it. I love the idea of the top lid pocket you made on yours and that will be the first thing I add. Will probably help eliminate the stuff sack I am carrying all those loose small items in. Plus it just adds so much convenience keeping everything at the top.

The list I have above fits with a huge down jacket and a good size rei primaloft jacket to simulate a bag at the bottom. It also all fits with a 2l platty in it. Currently though I am thinking of ways to get around that storage hog. Thats why I am thinking about going to an A.R. style shoulder pack and then just a one liter platy inside. I have to just buy one and see if I like having a water bottle on the shoulder strap.

Anyone ever experimented with a water bottle holder on the bottom strap part of the shoulder strap(the unpadded section)? Or is there any storage bags for this area? I am used to hip belt pockets but I dont think I am going to keep the hip belt. I just like having a camera and energy bar handy while im walking down the trail.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi Jeff,

I often just use a water bottle with a short loop of string around the neck. Add a little carabiner to this, and you can clip it to the bottom part of the strap.

It looks and sounds like it should bounce around all over the place, but in reality, it really doesn't. Very cheap and easy to try out.

Rod

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Jeff,

I'd recommend keeping the hip strap on for at least one trip. I was going to cut mine off originally but now intend to keep it permanenly.

I put my camera on the hip strap for quick access. Since its easy to grab I find that I take a lot more pictures and get much better shots because I'm less reluctant to get the camera out. I use a cheap camera case from WalMart that weighs next to nothing. Its light, offers some impact protection and is mildly water resistant. I keep the strap tight enough to eliminate sagging but its never tight against my waist. Its obviously useless for weight transfer… if you're doing it right you don't need that anyway, right?!

Because the hip belt is 1/2" webbing all the way around you can slide the camera case back behind you next to the pack and it stays there nicely.

I like the idea of the AR bottle (stands for adventure racer btw) on the front. I may give that a whirl on my next trip. My impression is that it will be overkill with the bladder hose but you never know until you try.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Don, I was planning on keeping the hip belt on for a while till I make my mind up. I do like the idea of adding pockets or camera or whatever to it. And for the record if I went A.R. style(thanks for the definition) I would lose the drinking tube and only use the 1L platty as water storage.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The hip belt is nice if you need to carry bear spray on a holster.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

I just finished Lighten Up for the millionth time. Its the best 8oz I own. Ali

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools