Topic

Primaloft quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Primaloft quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

I going to make quilt. I have primaloft 133g/m2 and quantum for top and lining. I bought primaloft and quantum http://www.extremtextil.de and they say:
    Sewing-tipps:
    Fabrics must be down-proof. Quilting ist necessary all 60cm. Primaloft is delivered on a thin scrim (app. 16g/sqm) for easier handling.

Is this 60 cm (23")guiltinq true? If this is true how i can sew primaloft to lining and avoid cold spots?

(sorry my bad english…)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Timo,

The quilting recommendations make this sound like Primaloft Sport, is that correct? Primaloft One requires a much smaller distance between quilting lines (about 15 cm) and must be quilted with fabric on both sides (or fabric on one side and scrim on the other.

Primaloft Sport can be quilted to just your lining but it tends to catch on the sewing machine's presser foot as you sew. You can avoid that problem if you quilt it between your lining and the scrim. Then carefully cut the scrim away (close to the quilt line) before sewing the outer shell on. I've also done the same with newsprint paper instead of the scrim … and just torn the paper at the stitching when I remove it.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

Yes, it is primaloft sport. What would be comfort temperature to this guilt if i wear icebreaker 260 longs, shirt and buff headwear? My plans is to make footbox rayway style and add cord to other end.

dale stuart
    Spectator

@onetwolaugh

Locale: Pacific NW

First let me say – I am a warm sleeper, I sleep in my skivies, and I also use a silk liner that I made.
    My formula for primaloft Sport is:
    60 – (Oz/yd X 5)= F temp rating. Ie; 6oz/yd would be 60-(6 X 5)= 30 degrees F.

I have made 2 quilts out of primaloft sport. One using 3oz with a total weigh of 16oz. and a 2- 3oz layer one (one layer quilted to top fabric and other offset quilted to bottom fabric and with draft stopper wings) weighing 23oz. I have used the heavy one down to 30 (with wool socks) and was still toasty.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

I have made 2 quilts out of primaloft sport. One using 3oz with a total weigh of 16oz. and a 2- 3oz layer one (one layer quilted to top fabric and other offset quilted to bottom fabric and with draft stopper wings) weighing 23oz. I have used the heavy one down to 30 (with wool socks) and was still toasty.

I have experienced similar performance with a quilt using 6oz previous generation PL One … just slightly more clo/oz than current generation PL Sport.

edit:
    Details of most recent usage (just this weekend):
    * Shelter: TarpTent RainShadow 2, with floor, no bivy.
    * Site info: unfrozen ground with a couple inches of pine needle duff on the surface. Under a not too dense pine canopy.
    * Sleeping gear was 6oz/yd quilt on an old, old std wt thermarest, balaclava made with same PL One as the quilt.
    * clothing worn: down socks, REI Sahara pants, short sleeve T shirt and a long sleeve BSA scout shirt, hooded unlined nylon wind breaker, MH powerstretch gloves

Friday night: temp started at about 40*F and bottomed out at 25*F for several hours, no wind. I was neither cold nor toasty … about just right. I did have to pay a bit of attention to carefully positioning the quilt after rolling over.

Saturday night: temp was more or less constant in the 32*F-35*F range. Light and wet snow falling, approx 10MPH wind. Very comfortable.

Have had similar experiences other times in that temp range.

Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

Jim, how did you know what the temperatures were?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

This was a planned test of the quilt's temp rating so I brought a thermometer and took notes of the details. I typically wake up to roll over every 60-90 minutes and checked the thermometer each time. Was also 2-3 miles from a weather station (same altitude) and asked for their hourly readings afterwards … their graphs agreed well with my thermometer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools