Topic

Wood gas stove insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wood gas stove insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I am on about my 5th or 6th small wood gas stove trial run and have a good one going so far. No fan though.

I tried the fan route on the first one I tried and it was a furnace, but burned up the fan on the 1st run so I decided on simple is better natural wood gas setup. No moving parts.

Its coming in at about 1.8 oz without insul made out of a Iberia sardine can slipped into a small heiniken keg can.
    All the holes made with a can opener.

Takes about 5 minutes to make one.
    So far the aluminum can is holding up well, but it disapates too much heat to get the gas process going unless insulated.

Previously I tried just testing a couple of kinds of insul I thought might work, but did not cut it.

The stove burns well though for about 15-20 minutes is its properly insulated to hold in the heat.

Today I wrapped some left over thermotec turbo heat sheild wrap from one of my old turbo car projects.

Its thick but did not hold in enough heat. Might try 2 layers tomorrow.

I am thinking a thick layer of wool might work.

Dont really want to use fiberglass.

I also did a steel outer can and it holds more heat but is heavier at 4-5 oz.

Either would be lighter if the holes were drilled instead of opened with a can opener, but I king of like the can opener as its simple.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Have you got any pics?

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I am going to make a new one today.
    Been drinking a lot of beer.

Might make a mpg of it.

Keep in mind without some heavy inulation it wont fire off and go into gas mode.

Also have a fairly decent alcohol Heiniken can stove working that burns for 15-20 minutes off 4 tsp of alcohol.
    That was about #20 design trial. Actually went through almost an entire gallon of denatured alcohol testing. Its a slow starter though. I need to test it some more.

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Not sure if the photos will work, I hope they do.

You may not be interested in the double wall style at all, but this is worth checking out. It's a DIY Bushbuddy clone, there is a fantastic thread about it somewhere around here. This is my first attempt.

The whole set up, with pot stand on top. The stand slides between the walls for storage.
    DIY Bushbuddy

Here is a view from the bottom, showing all the parts. This is very easy to make and costs under $5.00
    DIY Bushbuddy - separated parts

BTW, what is your aversion to fiberglass? You could get some fiberglass rope from a local woodstove shop that may work for your application – though it's hard to tell without pictures.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Nice stove Scott. I have one that is very similar. I used it this past weekend for the first time and it worked like a charm.wood stove

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Here are some pics. I finally decided to get my new website going. Trying out a new HTML WYSIG program.

Click on the "How to build a simple light small wood gas stove" link and there is a description of how to build this stove and some burn pictures.

I have still not gotten it to fire off as fast as I want. It really sputters for quite a while, but I am getting closer.

http://www.hobohilton.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools