Topic

titanium esbit stove- ti thickness?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear titanium esbit stove- ti thickness?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

found various designs, looks like not too difficult a project. I'd be interested to hear ideas about what gauge titanium sheet stock to buy. If it wasn't so expensive I'd get several thicknesses and experiment, but I'd rather just make one purchase.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

It really depends on the design. I built my wood stove out of 0.005 titanium. 0.005 is paper thin and VERY flexible, but the cylindrical shape and a little steel wire banding gives it enough strength to support 1.5 liters of water in a pot even when the stove walls are red hot. Here's the thread for that stove:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18056

If your design depends more on the intrinsic strength of the metal, 0.01, or 0.02 might be more appropriate.

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

I'm planning on this design:
    http://thru-hiker.com/projects/titanium_wingstove.php

I appreciate the tip

-T

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Taylor,
    That stove that Ayce has the instructions for was built from 0.016" thick titanium that he used to sell on his site. Looking at the design of that particular stove, I think 0.005" thick stock is too thin and flimsy for it. I'd try something a little thicker…check e-bay for scrap stuff.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

that is definitely not amenable to building with 0.005 Ti although I think there might be ways to modify the design with some bends to impart more rigidity to the pot supports. I think 0.01 Ti would be ok for a small (1 L.) pot.

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Yes I've been watching ebay and there are plenty of options, I think I can find just about any thickness I want. I plan on using the wingstove with a Snow Peak Trek 700 Ti pot. I may have to get a bigger sheet than I need so there could be some leftover material available. I'll update this thread once I make a buy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools